The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven

After 40 years of being closed, Eardington Station reopens! And the Flying Pig is carrying the headboard used for the reopening of the Severn Valley line from Bridgnorth to Hampton Loade in May 1970. Whilst a number of Seven owners were present, there was only one Chummy.

Had a small coolant leak that got rapidly worse when i pulled the stud out by hand. No Austin club run for me last week! Redrilled, tapped and new stainless steel stud made. Back in action.
Hi Brian,  missed you at the run.
Fencepost.
It's not a good idea to use stainless steel for both head and exhaust studs.  Stainless seems to " weld " to cast iron especially in extreme heat. Suggest you replace with EN16T.
Chris is right, if you are using both a s/s nut and bolt/stud, you need a minimum 50 Brinell hardness differential between each component to prevent galling. This is what our metallurgists always specified when using stainless components in corrosive atmospheres back in my working days
I’ll “third” that, I’ve made that mistake on a Motor cycle where I used stainless in various locations and even had a spindle shear, I’ve replaced the lot now with correct grade steel and feel a lot safer!
Missed you too Graham. The Austin lives in a plywood floored shed and it is amazing the mess that a couple of litres of anti freeze makes when it escapes unexpectadly. By the time I had mopped it up and figured out what was going on it was too late to leave, even in a modern!
I appreciate the advice on the stud material. I do note stainless ones are commercially available which is why i went down that route (and i had some stainless round bar). Next time it is apart I will replace with steel. I used the original brass nut with lots of anti sieze.
I have some stainless steel studs with brass nuts on my exhaust manifold and after a couple of years of use they could be easily removed.
I mean that the studs screw out of the block easily and the nuts come off the studs easily.
My collection grows slowly... Big Grin
The most recent addition is an RF Saloon, built in 1928 and registered first on 10th January 1929. I will travel to England and pick the car up around Christmas time. I'm looking happily forward!  Wink

Some of you guys may know the car.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Absolutely beautiful, I’m quite envious!