The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
A good entry of Bert Hadley Championship Sevens at Mid-Cheshire Motor Racing Club's Scammenden Hill Climb yesterday. The events entry was a full 45 cars and 13 of those were Sevens. I think they were glad we came!! A bit bleak in the morning at the rather exposed site but once the rain died down the wind dried the track. Some of the cars here.

.jpg   Scammonden 30 07 2023.jpg (Size: 252.91 KB / Downloads: 579)
Scammonden always was bleak
Alan Fairless
A few of us showed up at the Punchbowl at Marton cum Grafton today.

From left to right.....
1953 Chevrolet 5.7 litre pickup
1964 Ford Mustang
1932 BSA tricycle special
my 1934 Ruby

There was also an E-type, a Jaguar XK8, and a Daimler Dart.
Made the first of two rubber buffers for the hood-frame rest complete with a double-length Lift the Dot (this is to secure both the hood bag and the original-style "swing-down" strap on the hood frame).

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

For those with a sporting bent here is a link to the plateau "les Cyclecars" from this year's GP Retro at le Puy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_ofPBassp8
I had my first 'long distance' run in the Chummy to VSCC Prescott - about 80 miles in total. 

I got off to a good start, but the engine died about 20 miles in as I came to the top of a hill. I immediately suspected fuel, but it soon transpired that spark was the issue.
My breakdown spot:

After a bit of prodding and poking and attempting to fault find with what turned out to be a malfunctioning multimeter I thought I'd cut my losses and call for recovery. I was advised a several hour wait so did a bit more investigating, and eventually found this:

Fortunately I'd chucked an old spare distributor under the seat so I quickly fitted it, timed it by ear, and adjusted the points, with success. The car then ran well almost all the way there before running very roughly just before getting there. Fortunately lots of technical advice on hand and quickly established that the points had closed right up so that was easily sorted. 
Made it:

On the way back the car nearly ran very well, but was plagued by fuel starvation. I suspect there is an air lock and the fuel cap isn't letting enough air through, but I will investigate tomorrow. 

I think I broke down a total of six times today, but I'm still going to call it a success!
Well done for sticking with it, and carrying spares, Rupert.

Almost everyone on this Forum has learnt more by breaking down, than anything else, even if they don’t admit it! Wink
At the MG rally in Pateley Bridge today we were serenaded by these musicians playing, amongst other things, Get out and get under.

On the same journey last year I was disappointed that I needed second gear on three of the many hills to reach Pateley, with speed down to 8 mph. Today on the same journey we never needed second gear at all. Why? What can have changed? Is the engine still loosening up after the engine rebuild? Last year if had done about 2,000 miles since rebuild. Now it's done another thousand so about 3,000 since rebuild.

(06-08-2023, 06:39 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Well done for sticking with it, and carrying spares, Rupert.

Almost everyone on this Forum has learnt more by breaking down, than anything else, even if they don’t admit it! Wink

I've always thought that breaking down in the middle of nowhere is by far the fastest way of getting to know your car!
Funnily enough we set off yesterday but took 2 hours to start the car - I dried, cleaned, re-set or replaced just about everything (in the rain) but still no spark. Finally I thought "what about the LT lead? and as if by magic off we went. Did 125 miles in what was left of the day. We camped overnight, packed up this morning and - she wouldn't start again. Fiddled with the condenser connection and bingo... It lashed with rain all day today and fingers white with cold, we still have 408 miles back to Calais so for now "running" will have to do....