The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
I had my first 'long distance' run in the Chummy to VSCC Prescott - about 80 miles in total. 

I got off to a good start, but the engine died about 20 miles in as I came to the top of a hill. I immediately suspected fuel, but it soon transpired that spark was the issue.
My breakdown spot:

After a bit of prodding and poking and attempting to fault find with what turned out to be a malfunctioning multimeter I thought I'd cut my losses and call for recovery. I was advised a several hour wait so did a bit more investigating, and eventually found this:

Fortunately I'd chucked an old spare distributor under the seat so I quickly fitted it, timed it by ear, and adjusted the points, with success. The car then ran well almost all the way there before running very roughly just before getting there. Fortunately lots of technical advice on hand and quickly established that the points had closed right up so that was easily sorted. 
Made it:

On the way back the car nearly ran very well, but was plagued by fuel starvation. I suspect there is an air lock and the fuel cap isn't letting enough air through, but I will investigate tomorrow. 

I think I broke down a total of six times today, but I'm still going to call it a success!

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by RupertW - 06-08-2023, 06:08 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM