The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Today I pressed on for an hour and a half... at least I now know I have 1¼" drums... although I still don't know what size the other shoes are. Someone should have told the PO not to assemble the parts with the paint still wet.

The wobbly NS wheel bearing turned out to be another loose nut held firm by folding three sections of tab washer up the flats... no way was that loose little fellow going to get any looser! When I tightened the nut and replaced the drum, some wobble was still there, but this time it wasn't the bearing. I discovered all of the spokes on the flange of the West London wheel are a bit loose... ho hum. 

The off side bearing also moves alarmingly. I couldn't undo the nut by hand, but this can't be good?

Surprisingly I couldn't see either thread looking crossed on removal. 

I removed a cover from one backlash adjuster and couldn't get it to move. I can only assume that the chump that bolted the axle together did so without backing one side off then couldn't budge them, so I'm hoping the stiffness in the axle will ease when I take out the diff and halfshafts to lap the hub tapers and can make a small adjustment before reassembly. Hoping, but not expecting! 

Until tomorrow!

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by Nick Lettington - 18-06-2023, 11:27 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM