The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Remove the brake pedal pad and let the pedal fall down through it's hole then undo the castellated nut withdraw the the pivot with pedal and nut.
Steve,

Narrow Long Nose Mole Grip perhaps? This one below is a Stanley FMHTO-75438 Fatmax available from Amazon at £17.89p.

.png   Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 18.19.11.png (Size: 232.78 KB / Downloads: 379)

Jeff.
(01-06-2023, 04:34 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: The photo above shows the type used with the very late "hourglass" steering column, earlier ones do not have the flat and will need to be gripped with mole grips, as Steve suggests.

Do the repro earlier type have flats, Ruairidh? I ask because I've got this on my shelf that's from an earlier type steering box and does have flats that fit a 7/16" Whit spanner. The flats have been accurately formed as though from new rather than formed later with a file.

Steve
Quite possibly, Steve, or added as a sensible addition.
Recently I posted on the forum questions regarding the way forward building a 1 & half inch pressure fed engine after suffering a broken crank .I am pleased to report its all together again and i'm getting 40 lbs at 40 mph. I did spit the front welch plug on the maiden voyage in a cloud of steam,  but this has since been replaced and all appears well.
BUT todays woes, Vanda and I left home to drive the 45 miles to bribie island to purchase a hand bag and have fish and chips on the foreshore . Bag and chips great, renewed old aqaintances  and set of for home. Ruby started to miss and I heard a couple of clunks in the tailshaft region which I put down to torque tube mounting. Then the clunks increased which I could not relate to on or off  drive, so I pulled over and called my daughter to bring the car trailer. I managed to partially drive up the ramps till the diff protested louder and we winched it further with ratchet straps.
Looks like the cwp will be a mess and probably caused by wear in the spacer. I do have a couple of spares in the shed and will have a look at their condition. sigh !
In the photo, I see two, possibly more, centre punch marks on the end of the fulcrum pin. I have found similar treatment on at least two cars I have owned, if it is done with enough force the nut as you have found, becomes almost impossible to remove. In my case I was fortunate enough to have the body off the chassis and access was easier. 
I wonder if a suitably long lever might be tacked to the flange to stop it rotating?
I think I would be at it with a thin cutting disc and slice the end off the nut and pin. Hope that helps
Jack
Jack, that would help if you are offering to come and slice the ends off, otherwise I will have to do it myself this afternoon. You are far away, in another country. I don’t know how close to the lawns of Prescott you are in the Southern Cotswolds, but this morning in the market near the fish stall I met someone I had not seen last Saturday on the lawns. He said that his ears are still ringing from the V16 BRM.
Dave, if you could do a diagram of how to shoogle steering box, pivot and still attached brake pedal and steering column downwards, I will be impressed and attempt it immediately.
Today I took the RL saloon for its first serious run this year.   Eight pre-war cars took part in an informal 110 mile run in the Yorkshire Dales, taking in many of the hills that featured in the trials of the day, particularly the Edinburgh Trial.
The Austin performed very well, more so in the afternoon after I discovered that the floor carpet was preventing me getting the last inch of throttle pedal movement!
The descent into Hawes.    
Top of Buttertubs Pass.    
West Stonesdale trials hill (AKA Silver Hill)    
Tan Hill Inn, the highest pub in England.    

I was the only Austin.  Other cars included two pre-war MG's, a vintage Sunbeam tourer, A large Lorraine Detriech tourer, Lagonda Rapier, Lancia Augusta and an Alvis 12/50.    A perfect day for vintage motoring.
Looking good Malcolm.
Tomorrow is the first Saturday of the month so the Punch Bowl at Marton-cum-Grafton may provide an escape from some sporting event...
A participant in the run today has come across an interesting item which needs to be in the A7CA archive.

If Hugh is reading this I have sent you a photo of the item via email to the archive address.