The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
(18-05-2023, 10:06 PM)YesNick Lettington Wrote: quote="Tony Griffiths"
Thanks for the detail of the assembly; I was not aware of the need for a little cork/leather washer. Now I know why the joint on Anne's Ruby's oil pressure gauge weeps slightly.

It's good to know the information is useful... I also had a tiny weep on my Ruby a few years back...

I cut about 20 tiny washers if anyone wants one or some?

Yes, please, I'd love a couple. If you can use the address at the top of the home page of lathes.co.uk that will find me. I'll be delighted to refund your post, etc.

I'm halfway through fitting indicators to my 1930 Chummy. On the OS front wing, the stay had a spare plain hole in exactly the right place to secure a bracket. With great care to avoid damaging the wing, I managed to tap it out 3/8 Whit. Now to the nearside - dash, no spare hole. So, tonight the wing was off, the hole drilled and tapped with assembly tomorrow. Next job, clip the wires neatly into place and then struggle to mount the switch and other bits as inconspicuously as possible. Happily, I have the ex-David Wortley Chummy to copy, a car with an especially neat installation that I'll try - and fail - to emulate. I'm using 6-volt amber LEDs like these - the recommended fitment for use behind amber glass - and a test proved them to be especially bright.
I managed to make some space by selling 3 original front wings, unfortunately the seller left a box of bits     of vacuum wiper parts for me to sort out. Two items which are not vacuum wiper parts have me guessing what are they?      The right hand nickel plated one has Joseph lucas stamped on it.

Instead of the usual, granny had one, first car, does it do a hundred miles an hour, the question at the car park was, is your car leaking a bit? to which the answer was, it does rather seem to be. Have not has carb  problems for some considerable time, so first of all bowl off, float still floating and no sign of filling up, needle valve stops flow of petrol when the finger is on the valve and the pump lever is operated. So carb off, check for bits and take out and check jets.  Reassemble, and as pictured, still lots of flow from the bleed hole on the top of the carb. Evidently too much fuel somewhere, as otherwise it seems to perform correctly, tickover all right, choke can be closed fairly soon on a warm afternoon, no spluttering. Recommendations as to the next course of action?
Definitely a flooding issue, Steve. There's even fuel coming up the tubes for the float bowl holding screws. Whilst you might be able to stop the flow with finger pressure, the float bowl pressure is probably not enough. Perhaps you need to check the needle seat. Carb off I'm afraid.
Carb off encore. What to check when removing the needle valve? You suggest that the old finger pushing it is more brutal than the gently upwards pressure of the float.

Today I left the Ruby at home in the garage and went for a drive in my 1955 Austin along with an assortment of cars including a Ford Capri, a Granada, a Subaru and various others. These included the 1939 Lanchester in the photo and the red car in the photo. The red car was badged as a Ferrari but looking on DVLA the registration comes up as a BMW Z3. Strange.

Anyway, looking for a parking space in Masham market place I came across this lovely mk2 Ruby.
Andrew, you can buy a kit to convert an old Beemer Z3 into various types of Ferrari, I think they even do a 250 GTO!
(20-05-2023, 09:05 PM)Ivor Hawkins Wrote: Andrew, you can buy a kit to convert an old Beemer Z3 into various types of Ferrari, I think they even do a 250 GTO!

I did wonder if anything like that was available.

https://auto-bella.co.uk/classic-ferrari...ts-bmw-z3/
As long I cannot afford a Ferrari GTO, I just don't want one. This strategy makes life much easier, believe me!Wink

Today I removed the cylinder head of my van's engine and did a short test drive with the Chummy. The weather was again too bad for a longer run.

By the way, I found this set of tools very useful when working on the Austin Seven... Big Grin

No wonder I've got Zenith needle valve problems, I'm using the wrong tools!