The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Those of you who have been following the recent chronicle of maintenance of my RP saloon will remember that I serviced it last month and have been chasing all the funny noises that have plagued the car for ages.

When, during the service, I had the brake drums off I noticed that the rear brake shoes were looking a bit worn and made a mental to replace the linings when time and circumstance allowed. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to set the linings that I prefer, but nevertheless got some from one of our cherished suppliers which arrived this week. So, yesterday I stripped the brakes all round, fitting my almost new woven (and noisy) lined front brake shoes to the rear and the freshly relined shoes to the front. I know that the front linings will need to bed in, but so far, a test drive round the lake this morning proved that the brakes work well and the recurring squeal appears to have gone.

I also took the opportunity of adjusting the torque tube mounting which had settled down after the installation of my dished spacer about 400 miles ago (where do these miles come from, I wonder?). It didn't require much adjustment; less than half a turn and it appears to be smooth throughout its travel with no tight spots.

And yes, I have found the annoying rattle after three and a half years. Young Leon spotted it. It turned out to be the passenger side scuttle ventilator which buzzes when it is shut. It isn't loose on its pivots and I am at a bit of a loss as to a permanent solution. The current fix is to leave it just ajar.

I have now got the car running about as well as it has ever run. Indeed, this afternoon, I took my great-granddaughter Sarah out in it and she remarked that the car seemed much quieter than the last time she went in it She still complains about the hot oil smell from the breather holes though.

The washing machine has now gone wrong so I have got to go and repair that!

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by David Stepney - 07-05-2023, 06:31 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM