The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Manufacturers only make "World" cars Hence we wind up on small lanes that cant cope with US size Lardy mobiles.

Maybe we should tax by width and length. Or total area.
My bugbear with modern car lighting is that the rear lights are not incorporated into the running light circuit. The result is that in rain or mist or even fog people don't put their lights on as they think they are already "on" and the rear remains unlit. I have seen this countless times in light rain on motorways at high speed. The regs would appear to assume that drivers follow the instruction to turn lights on in times of poor visibility (fat chance!).
Surely the system should be "side" lights as "running" lights at both ends with more at the front as needed?
Perhaps we should have another thread called gripes and grumbles for this...  it's getting a bit more off piste than usual. 

Today I will mostly be hiding in the garage trying to get rid of car parts I have no need of... mostly not Austin, though I might watch a bit of TV
(06-05-2023, 10:48 AM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: My bugbear with modern car lighting is that the rear lights are not incorporated into the running light circuit. The result is that in rain or mist or even fog people don't put their lights on as they think they are already "on" and the rear remains unlit. I have seen this countless times in light rain on motorways at high speed. The regs would appear to assume that drivers follow the instruction to turn lights on in times of poor visibility (fat chance!).
Surely the system should be  "side" lights as "running" lights at both ends with more at the front as needed?

My limited understanding Duncan is that daytime running lights were developed for the Scandinavian market where they raised awareness of an approaching vehicle on long, gloomy stretches of open road with little traffic. The idea was then rolled out wholesale to other markets without a great deal of thought or analysis. Studies in the U.S. identified zero benefit.
I finally plucked up the courage to attend to a sticking SM5 ammeter, the needle was catching the face, here it is in bits      . It is now back together and working.
Took Harvey, with flags, to our local village hall in Potterspury where we watched the Coronation on a big screen. Harvey provided a little colour. 

Came home in the rain, which was reminiscent of 1953, but back then I watched events at my "Auntie" Hilda's house in Leyland. She was the one who had the television!

Attached Files
.jpg   Harvey Coronation.jpg (Size: 199.81 KB / Downloads: 233)
Took the Ruby to a car event at the local rugby club today. Other than Ruby, the next oldest car was this 1961 Ford 100E popular from 1961.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Had a fairly unsuccessful run in the Boulogne replica, which is back together again after transferring all the steering gubbins into a properly lowered steering box rather than the wedge arrangement it had previously.

I'm reasonably sure it's a fuel issue, possibly as simple as fuel not getting to the carb, but I'll investigate properly in the morning.

Here is my scenic breakdown spot:

Fortunately I hadn't made it far and it was mostly downhill all the way back so not too much pushing required!
Breather hole in the fuel tank cap ?
(05-05-2023, 12:26 PM)Alan Wrote: I think it’s time we had a complete rethink on cars. It’s not just lighting it’s all the unnecessary techno junk that they get these days. I wouldn’t be surprised if a simpler petrol engined car, no modern Emission standards wasn’t more lifetime environmentally friendly than an electric car with all the junk.

I’m with you Alan. I’ve just had a new Renault Captur (probably spelled wrong) for a week as a hire car. 
A pretty mediocre car with a gear change that was truly horrible and was filled with electronic gadgets that took me two days to turn off. Probably loaded that way to make it appealing to people buying on the never-never/PCP. 
The one saving grace, which you may appreciate, was that it had 60 section tyres providing a reasonably cushioned ride - better than my everyday modern.

Charles