The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
First Sunday morning in the month is always the local Alès old car get together. Big turnout today due to the warm spring sunshine. There's an A7 ion there somewhere betwxeen a Citroen "Trefle" and a Fiat 500. I also took a short video on the way back, through the town.

[Image: 20230305-095624-resized.jpg]

https://youtube.com/watch?v=lKTGTQ1g08Y&feature=share

Yesterday two Austin Seven owners gallantly took part in the Falcon 75th Anniversary Trial. Sadly, we were in a French motor car with only two cylinders. The Seven which took part was the entry of Peter Thompson and Joanne Easter.  They had come a very long way to the event. When asked they had mentioned a trailer, later in the conversation it emerged that the trailer was towed behind the Chummy with the camping equipment. These two gallant performers took bravery to a higher level! The trial started at Honeybourne and ended at Nailsworth, with a magnificent green road and ORPA mileage in and around the Cotswolds. The organisers kept saying that it was a one off, but if they repeat it some of us will take Sevens next time, and we will help promote the event more vigorously in the vintage world. And just in case any reader suspects Seven trialists of derangement, there was a bike entrant mounted on a Honda 90, he appeared to have survived.  No Solexes though.
Well done that man!
At the behest of young Leon, and given the fact that we have had about 3 or 4 inches of snow, we took the Seven up to see the horse and put a rug on him, given the present inclement weather.

Setting off down our track

Getting to the top of Bwlch-yr-Eira, Leon thought it a good idea to go down a forest track for the photo opportunity, and  managed to get the car stuck whilst turning it round. This is a shot of the car before hand

And after we had manhandled the car round! Its lucky hat an RP saloon weighs about 10 1/2 cwt, as the exercise required getting the car to reverse up a small rise which it refused to do, and so needed pushing up the slope and Leon and I have a combined weight of about 15 stone! This is a shot of the car on the way back.
You probably wouldn't have got stuck if you had Longstones instead of Avons. I've never had any traction problems with the more open block tread of the Longstones.
I suspect the problem was inexperience on Leon's part. He had tried to reverse into a gateway that was on an upward slope with the idea of driving out instead of driving in and reversing out. I have found that Sevens drive up banks better than they reverse, as there is little weight on the rear.
A while back, some of you may recall, I made a posting about the uncomfortable seats in my Chummy. Since then from research and feedback from you good folks, I have learned a lot about Chummy seats and came realise that the upholstery on my seats was completely wrong. The seats had been made 'flat' and needed a considerable 'upslope' to the front to give proper support under my knees. A couple of mornings work with a pal who has a nicely equipped carpentry shop saw the creation of a couple of wedged 'boxes' to add to the underside of the seats. The difference is quite remarkable and the seats are now much more comfortable. I will cover the wedges in some off cuts of black leather, if I can track some down, or perhaps black vinyl would do just as well...

I have sent you a PM, Hugh
I found with the up slope towards the front on our RNs that the seats didn't support our upper legs leading to a numb posterior, the solution I came up with was to fit spacers under the front seat mounts      it was that or shorten my legs. An added benefit was it lowered the rear of the seat so my line of sight was below the wiper motor.

Marshalling a junction this morning at Calcutt for the annual Knaresborough Tractor Run. About an hour and a half of passing tractors. Just my bucket raised over sixty quid for Yorkshire Air Ambulance.

This was last year.