The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
As some of you will have noticed on a separate thread, I have been having fuel gauge sender unit woes. Fortunately, one of our contributors, A7Jojo, very kindly supplied me with an original arm and float in good condition. Accordingly, I took the car over to my friend Jim's workshop to sort the tank unit out, he being much better at soldering than I.

So, with Leon driving, we set off for Llangollen at about 12 noon. On the way we had to take a small detour to the top of Bwlch-y-Eira to go and feed the horse (alas now only one; Starlight died at the beginning of this year), taking the car down a 1 in 5 lane to get back to LLandderfel. On the way down, I told Leon to turn left when we got to the bottom of the hill as we needed to go Glanyrafon on the A494 to pick up petrol. However, he turned right towards Llandrillo instead. When I mentioned this he simply said "Sorry, I forgot" thus we decided that we would carry on and pick up fuel on the A5.

You don't need to guess what happened next. Yes folks,  as we were climbing out of Cynwyd we ran out of petrol! Fortunately, we were able to get a friend who lives not too far away to come out and take me to a petrol station to get a gallon, here are photos of the little car sitting in a layby awaiting sustenance.

.jpg   S026I003.JPG (Size: 172.44 KB / Downloads: 366)

.jpg   S026I002.JPG (Size: 155.32 KB / Downloads: 365)

Having been delayed by our own stupidity for over an hour, we got to Jim's later than I had intended and the other work that we were going to do (grease all the nipples, check back axle level and find out why the brakes have started to make canary noises on braking) has had to be postponed until tomorrow.

.jpg   S026I001.JPG (Size: 112.85 KB / Downloads: 365)

Austin in Jim's workshop

However, the day was not without its compensations. With the petrol gauge back into working order (well, as good a working order as it ever was - the needle still has a habit of flicking about the gauge at odd intervals), on the way home, we were treated to a rather spectacular sunset.

.jpg   S026I003.JPG (Size: 172.44 KB / Downloads: 366)

Attached Files
.jpg   S026I004.JPG (Size: 78.79 KB / Downloads: 354)

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by David Stepney - 12-02-2023, 09:15 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM