The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Hi Tony, there is/was a bit of OE material out on the 'interweb' once but it seems to have either disappeared or gone behind paywalls.
In its most basic/original form the system consisted of a reservoir containing 'special' lubricant with an integral foot operated pump with multiple runs of small bore piping conducting said lubricant to various locations on the chassis. Each line had a calibrated restrictor fitted (which were removable/changeable in the same sense as carburettor jets)  to regulate the amount of lubricant delivered  to each location.  Specific locations would vary according to the car manufacturer's whim but would include favourites like the chassis hanger spring eye bushes and king pins. Sometimes spring leaves and the spring eye bushes themselves and other moving parts would be included (via flexible hoses). The advice was for the operator to depress the pedal once when first entering the car for the day.
Later iterations included a 'ring main' system and engine/vacuum operated pumps to remove the need to remember to depress the pedal. I see from some 'Commercial Motor' screen grabs the ring main/engine driven pump version  was still available until the mid 60s for commercial vehicles?
Also I learned in my Google search that  Luvax-Bijur (and others) marketed a similar system

Apologies,  I should've realised you were referring to the Austin variant specifically before I went to print

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by A G Wood - 16-09-2022, 01:33 AM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM