The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
When you have a spare moment, could you please write a definitive guide on how to use a pint of oil in 1,000 miles. I await with great interest, and will do everything you suggest, well, possibly almost everything.
Engine rebuild 5000 miles ago (June 2019) with assistance from the Bearded Wizard. Silicone gaskets all round and no leaks. (well almost)
Oil changes at 50, 150, 350, 650 & 1000 miles and every 1000 miles thereafter.

250 miles gentle "running in" and then an 8 day adventure to Santiago de Compostella and back. Been fine since.
Hi Steve

As Reckers says, silicon gaskets, carefully rebuilt engine. I use barely any oil between 1000 mile services now.

Couple of photos from The Three Cock Vintage Rally at Hay on Wye today. The usual suspects turned up from the South Wales Club and about equal numbers from the Hereford Club.

Second photo is for Hedd. He probably knows these engines. We were surprised, given the bone dry field that they were allowed to steam up.

Cheers

Howard

.jpeg   B9C6CE9E-8F5E-4C23-8001-A12000B16B73.jpeg (Size: 123.47 KB / Downloads: 408)
.jpeg   20FB81F0-FC63-4B7B-8870-5F2C729AD1C5.jpeg (Size: 106.3 KB / Downloads: 408)
Steve Jones,
We're back in Texas now, but your post has got us both misty-eyed and lumpy-throated.
It was good to finally meet in person!
Howard, the engines in the foreground are agricultural engines, one of the main uses for them is threshing. Threshing dry crops, they are perfectly safe in dry weather when driven sensibly. 

Similarly my mate David had his ploughing engines there working a stubble field, again what they were made for and no issue.
(14-08-2022, 10:42 PM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: Howard, the engines in the foreground are agricultural engines, one of the main uses for them is threshing. Threshing dry crops, they are perfectly safe in dry weather when driven sensibly. 

Similarly my mate David had his ploughing engines there working a stubble field, again what they were made for and no issue.
Thanks Hedd

I saw the ploughing engines working in the field opposite. Great site to see.  However not all the engines were agricultural. This one forced us off the exit road as we were leaving  Smile .

.jpeg   41750123-AA6D-4321-9FBB-8E8761A860B8.jpeg (Size: 89.37 KB / Downloads: 285)

Cheers

Howard
Yesterday I tracked down the appalling performance of my  engine at the end of the Moreton event (family commitments stopped my getting down and dirty until then)!
Measured 202 thou clearance on no 2 cylinder! (With the head of an open ended 5/16 BSF spanner!)
Car runs much better with clearance reset to 8 thou Big Grin 
Now to find out the cost of a radiator recore Cry

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Good news that it was a simple fix, Bob.
I need to drive my newly restored steam roller 20odd miles next Wednesday, its water consumption is not yet known to me, though I doubt it is much more than 10miles. I therefore need to take some water with me so as to avoid the difficulty of findimg water in the later part of the journey which will be in an urban environment. So I have bought a couple of plastic drums to put on the trailer.

We currently drive here 2no 2005/6 VW Beetles which have very little cabin space for unusual loads. 

The chummy on the other hand......

Very pleased with myself today. Whilst I wait for new cutout to arrive I went hunting the next gremlin on the list, the fuel guage was showing half full when totally full up.
I checked the guage, full if I earthed it. Checked the resistance of the sender, fine. Checked the earthing of the tank, fine. Wire to sender had loads of contact resistance so I spliced in a new fitting and re-fitted. (Now I understand why people cut access holes for the sender).
Still no joy.
Checked earthing at guage, that worked fine. Checked each of the wires to the back of the guage and they were fine.

In exhasperation I cleaned the contacts at guage and Bingo!
Phew!

I also, by proxy, sent a load of gearboxes the way of 7Ca, so if you need one...