The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
(09-07-2022, 09:35 AM)JonE Wrote: I'm meant to be assembling the engine now my V5 has come through, but I keep getting distracted by fear (and pointless but enjoyable deviations).

I can't help thinking you'd get a bigger benefit from emptying your bladder before you drive Jon!

I bought a book on repairing fibreglass bodywork... I realise I could add quite a lot of weight to my Silverstone if I don't tackle it correctly...
As Colin Chapman used to say, add lightness wherever possible. I heard an apocryphal tale that he’d keep drilling another hole until the item failed and then make another part with one less (fewer?)than that hole

Putting in some miles comparing needles...ooops, doing the week's supermarket run early this morning was delightful, but the day has got very hot. My intention to do a full service ready for the many hundreds of miles coming up,  starting next weekend, just seemed to be too uncomfortable out on the drive, so put off until the cool of the evening. So instead a little  improvisation in the workshop time, in the hope that when a photo is next submitted to the forum, the magisterial figures of messrs Grimmond and Fairless will not disapprove.
Having changed the 17" wheels on the Marine Special to 19" with new Longstone tyres a week ago , I found that  the tyres would scuff the mudguards when on lock and on uneven surfaces. I'm now modifying the front guard clearances to hopefully cure the problem.Only time will tell.
Steve you might want to be sure that arrangement doesn’t obstruct your airflow. Might or might not difficult to say, but easy to remove if it does.
Alan Fairless
I tried something similar on both the Ulster and the Trials Chummy and on both it turned off the performance.

Steve
Shakedown run this morning in Chris Wells’s newly built car. Goes quite well and quite comfortable ( I can even stretch my legs out but that’s one advantage of being the same height as Mr Average of 1923)
Not driving it from Sheffield to the Centenary, that would be for braver people so it’s going in the back of a van.    
Damn it’s upside down so please stand on your head to view!
To save you having a headache, Dave.

Steve
Steve, the screen looks like a good start but I’d dome the mesh to increase the total mesh area to compensate for the compound area taken up by the wire and increase the air flow… the thinner the wire and the larger the hole the better. If you wish I could send you a piece of brass wire mesh which may be better than what looks like expanded rather than woven mesh.

Duncan, mesh doming will take place next week, when the carb has to come off for a full set of washers etc for the jet, to be  ordered from Burlen at 09.01 tomorrow. Meanwhile the full service reveals another question. Tyres long since all Longstone, thus no punctures, cracked sidewalls etc. But seeing them stacked together whilst brakes were checked, nipples greased and springs lubricated, I am now worried that I have been running pressures too high. Wear is not even, centre treads notably more worn. Steering and king pins far from perfect but better than many, so with no evident asymmetrical front cover wear I have done diagonal swapping for a few years.  Will this provoke a Sunday morning chorus saying that 24 front and 26 rear were  far too high pressures?