The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
I was surprised to see a countryman Mini, it looked almost as big as an early Range Rover and a far cry from the Austin Countryman which seemed to be their answer to the Morris Traveller...

There being a 1" SU amongst the bits that came from the sadly missed Jon Yeeles, and after encouragement by Malcolm Lyon, Alan Fairless and numerous others, I sorted and installed the SU on the Ruby to replace the original Zenith. Not quite the complete epiphany, but even with the first needle offered up the performance improvement is considerable! Tidying up with a proper banjo and trying a needle or two and I will be a very happy man, dashing up the hills of South Wales, yesterday a couple of occasions in a gear higher than before. How I look forward to ascending Prescott on 20th of this month, will we be timed?. Thanks to all for the encouragement.
I’d get that rubber hose away from the exhaust, otherwise just to say told you so. And, I wonder if it’s the one I sold Jon about 15 years ago.
Alan Fairless
The hose was suffering from “camera angle” but plumbing is now improved by a banjo on the carb and hose cut to length rather than a bit out of the bin. And since it could well be that carb, an illustration of what a small and very helpful world we live in.
I'd be tempted to fit a mesh screen to the carb inlet, it's a big hole and will suck in all sorts of flying crap...
You have a mesh screen design proposal? The Zenith had an export air filter, the spacer block allowing the SU to bolt on to the inlet takes up too much space to allow the attachment of a pancake. I'd like to see examples of  possible filters.
Something like this? I've made several for Austins with SU carbs...the depth of the raised screen is about 10mm off the face of the carb flange. The pic needs to be rotated anticlockwise by 90* but I can't seem to achieve that...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

It's not all about size.
I'm meant to be assembling the engine now my V5 has come through, but I keep getting distracted by fear (and pointless but enjoyable deviations).    
Surely they are not lightened valve chest cover fasteners made to save those vital ounces for Boulogne or Monthlerey? Or even Prescott in a week or so?