The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
My experience agrees with Bob, the PA in the chummy on 350x19's is pretty accurate. Vs GPS, and those particularly useful flashy signs that is kind enough to give you a speed and a smiley or sad face. Theres two round here and its good vs both of them.

The fleet of 2005/6 VW beetles are awfull on both fronts - reading faster than actual by a good margin vs GPS and flashy signs.

The RL on 350/400's is a little out, I find I'm going faster than the PA says I'm going, but Ive only had a speedo in it about 2 months after 20years on the road. This is the car I've had the longest and so have simply driven it on feel. And thats how I drive them all.

The RP on 400s is a fair bit out, same again, it goes faster than indicated. Its still better than the beetles though.

Speed is relative, the family has always considered 7's as nothing more than a car. Drive it, use it break it, fix it. I don't even own a trailer that I could put a complete one on. I don't know how others drive a seven, but once on the open road I guess I use the throttle like a switch, and avoid using the brakes at all cost. Momentum is hard won - particularly in the saloons. There are a number of routes round here with a decent level run and or long gradual decent where 60 is seen regularly, the chummy hits it far easier being lighter, though the vibration meant that I have chosen to ease off at 50. Both saloons are driven far harder, particularly when you realise how much more they lean round corners, the chummy with its saggy rear springs is like a roller skate in comparision. In my 20's I had a ride from Rugby to the Midshires club meet in David Cochranes 25 chummy. I seem to remember feeling like I was going to fall out going round some corners. Well when alone thats how I drive mine!

P.S the tupperware special I had - a fairly standard 1937 low chassis, with a breathed on cam, an SU with a close ratio box and a fibreblass Microplas Stiletto body would hit 70 without too much effort. Though it did get a bit lairy if you lifted off completley at 70. I quickly learnt not to do that.

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by Hedd_Jones - 06-07-2022, 11:18 AM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM