The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
What, a Brockhouse Corgi?
Hi RR

Re the Long Range Desert Group jeep, I would be more worried about my hearing than the petrol tanks. not the ideal vehicle to be in hundreds of miles from home in the desert. The American copy of German jerry cans were vastly superior to the tinplate 4 gal tins used by the Brits and which lost them thousands of gallons. Many NZers found their way into the LRDG and one of their Chev medium trucks recovered from the desert in modern times is in the Imperial War Museum. When I visited it seemed to be suffering more from the ravages of school kids than it had  from 50 years in the desert.
The later Seven tanks are heavy gauge and external to the body. Many cars had light gauge in the boot The fully sealed feature of moderns is a real virtue.
The model A Ford had a scuttle tank.
When I was a small boy service station attendants often went to the bonnet of the RP to refill.
(31-05-2022, 09:26 AM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: What, a Brockhouse Corgi?

It requires no walking, or feeding, but it does need a drip tray !!
(31-05-2022, 10:22 AM)Bob Culver Wrote: Hi RR

Re the Long Range Desert Group jeep, I would be more worried about my hearing than the petrol tanks. not the ideal vehicle to be in hundreds of miles from home in the desert. The American copy of German jerry cans were vastly superior to the tinplate 4 gal tins used by the Brits and which lost them thousands of gallons.

The design of the Jerrycan is a most interesting study in how to get things right. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwUkbGHFAhs
Just when I thought everything was running perfectly, I took the car off the road for a a few weeks to complete the interior trim and I’m really pleased with the way it looks...

Then I thought I’d run out to Sainsbury’s to get the supplies in for the village jubilee party on the green and things were not sounding good in the motor...three stuck valves, again, I think I’ll ream the guides to half an inch, that’ll sort it!

Fascinating video about the Jerry can, thanks!

Today after displaying the seven outside the local pop-up museum for the day I fitted the door lock covers that arrived this week. Big thanks to David Cochrane of A7 components. They just finish the job off.

I didn't have any 5BA screws, but the 3.5mm screws holding on modern house light switches are a perfect fit!
I managed a short run to celebrate June 5th - in 1922 the day of the Austin Annual Gala at which the first prototypes were first shown - but rain and a mis-firing engine saw me soon head for home...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi Ivor and Andrew

What superb examples of trimming.  Well done!

Cheers

Howard
I can’t take all the credit Howard, I had a bit of help from the late Bryan Purves!

Took the box out again for our Jubilee music on the green extravaganza, parked next to a 66 Chevy impala, it provided a contrast to say the least, but the spectre of sticking valves returned, yet again, so I’ve had it to bits for the third time in the past week, had all the valves out and reamed the guides...hopefully it will run okay today, if not I’ll have to take around the back of the barn and shoot it!