The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Hi Austin

SI is South Island. OE is overseas experience which so many young locals pursue (or did). I seem to recall he mentioned roadholding as also a factor. As a young professional and a visitor he would have had no mechanical skills and no place to work. Many Sevens still on the road here then were diabolical. Mine was not quite finished and in the other island so I shopped about for another, all at the bottom end of prices. One was so worn and/or retarded could barely reach 30mph. Several were extensively remodelled with makeshift panels, seat cushions, upholstery etc.  A good 1937 wanted L80. I passed up a very low mileage chummy for about L50 because I had nowhere to keep an open car. Struck me as very lively cf 1935 Ruby. Settled for an early Ruby with almost no rear floor intact Engine seemed reasonable but later on after about a mile at 50 developed a tremendous thud. Slow down and OK. Possibly a jet blocked but I think the screws were Araldited in.... I had  no work place or blocks and very little knowledge. As with very many others, may have been thrown by the Pitmans book wrong timing recommendation. 
Cut up an apple box for s.a discs. Had to refit flywheel... When stoplights of car ahead unexpectedly blinked, the seat tore out of the floor.... A new Hillman or suchlike about L950 at the time, and a tradesmans wage about L17.

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by Bob Culver - 10-05-2022, 10:34 AM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM