The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
It is the Severn Valley Spring Gala, so a small Saturday gathering of cars at Eardington. There was an open topped bus in service between Eardington and Bridgnorth, one of a fleet owned and operated by a couple of lads who also collect fire engines, and the girlfriend of one of whom ahs an Austin Ten. And we think that some of us have collections! Sorry, no photos of a passing streak in black livery, Sir Nigel Gresley, and certainly no snaps of Purple Brenda. 

[attachment=

17726]
OK, which expert is going to do a lesson in how to get the forum to take the image in the format on one's own computer. Merely shouting "portrait, damn you, portrait" at it on a Sunday morning merely wakes the missus and gets the dogs howling. 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I’ve lost the will to live trying to get photographs in the correct orientation these days I just tap th3m and they re open in a new tab the correct way up...great pic by the way!

A trip into Harrogate. St George's day service at Christ Church.
We went to a nice informal event at a pub mear Whichurch in Shropshire on Saturday in the RP.

We won a teenager while there and had to take her home 4 up. Ians springs took it no problem

Today I escaped there also for the morning in the chummy while my daughter was at dance. A very enjoyable event.

Nice to see lots of old motors out and about too on my journey there and back.  Tractors,  Lorries, Cars, motorbikes and steamers.

Not something that you want to see every day....

After running quite happily for over 20 years, a recent disturbance of the rear hubs when relining the brakes revealed that one half shaft and hub were worn to the extent that the gear on the shaft started binding on the inside of the diff after it all settled down when re-assembled...

Hi Hugh
Presumably at least one hub has been run loose and/or lapped at some stage. If free of cracks it is extravagant to scrap an axle. A less worn or les lapped hub may suffice. Presumably some have reduced the width of the axle gear. Dunno how much considered prudent. Even if sealed bearings fitted still need to retain the large washer on the inner side of bearing.
I gather on Ford Model As it is customary to shim the taper. Cannot imagine success with the highly loaded Seven but has anyone tried? Would have to leave the pin out and constantly tighten.
I've tried other hubs that all reveal the same problem. I imagine that the half shaft has been lapped once too often. Not scrapping the axle, just replacing the offending half shaft.
The halfshaft inboard end can be modified on a lathe to lose a bit off the teeth without to much drama.
Pleasant lunch and great company with the Senlac group at The Yew Tree, Chalvington, East Sussex.        
This evening I have been making a 1933 clutch cover plate lighter and smaller in diameter as well as reducing its thickness in the area where the springs sit and a reduction in thickness of the outer flange where it bolts to the flywheel.
The flywheel has already been reduced in diameter and had most of the outer ring milled off leaving six posts to bolt the cover plate onto it.
I might do a bit of undercutting on the outside of the posts.
The next part in line for lathe time is the pressure plate, this might not have a lot removed from it but there is scope to bevel the corners and remove a bit from the back where the springs seat.

Yesterday I self isolated under the car, adjusted the clutch on the crossshaft, greased the front suspension, and the steering box.
On Thursday I will grease the rear springs tweek the shocks and check the back axle oil level and have another play on the lathe.