The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
A day of unintended consequences.

I offered to let someone tinker with Austin 7 stuff, to see if they would enjoy doing so.

Which meant I had to get "Slack Alice" out from long term storage, to put alongside the Tourer.

Which I was reluctant to do, because driving Alice has been a truly miserable experience, the couple of times I've done it over the last year or two.

Will start on ancient fuel, idle ok, but won't rev and when you insist that it does rev, runs erratically on three.

So, amongst other things, the lad changed the plugs, distibutor cap, leads - still the same.

"I really hate doing it, because it's a real fiddle, but, since you're here - you can watch me change the distributor " say I.

And - YIPPEE! - I have got my car back. Smile

The distributor drive gear is about a third chewed away.   Which must be what the problem was?

This was a new, brass, gear bought some time ago.   Done no more than five hundred miles, I guess.

Are new ones now any better?

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by "Slack Alice" Simon - 10-04-2022, 03:40 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM