The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Malcolm - how did that run on the car?
Hi All

It’s the VSCC Edwardian and Light Car meeting here in Llandod this weekend.  Took a stroll down to the Metropole Hotel to see the cars arriving.  Lots and lots of Sevens, but this Salmson caught my eye.  Single door coupe with lovely proportions. 

Cheers

Howard

[attachment=17415]

PS Can’t understand why it’s on its side!
After a day at Trim Lizzies yesterday and a couple of hours today to complete, Anastasia can now be left more secure and weather resistant with her tonneau cover. Thanks for your perseverance and coffee  Lizzie.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That looks great Peter - congratulations and enjoy!

Malcolm - just chanced upon this photo tonight, it was a lovely trip with 5 year old Willow, who is now 13...

(25-03-2022, 07:42 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Malcolm - how did that run on the car?

The wedged head was put on the Reliant crank bottom end (the engine that was in the supercharged red special) after the blower was removed and was used in my Works Prototype Replica (!) for several years.  Usual 4 into 1 exhaust manifold and SU carb on 30 degree aluminium inlet manifold.  I think the valves were standard, the cam certainly was with flattened followers  It went very well indeed.  On a VSCC Measham Rally a chap in a supercharged MG (J3?) tried to out-drag me away from a time control, he failed miserably.  Accelerating up to 60mph on a narrow country road at 2.00 am on a dark February night certainly clears the cobwebs.  Never had any problems whilst it was fitted.
We may have been pushing our luck taking so much metal off, and quit whilst we were winning.   Another couple of passes in the lathe and we might have broken through into the water jacket.   With a large pile of early heads to go at, we didn't worry too much about the worst case scenario.

Dave, that's not woodworm, its Death Watch Beetle!

(25-03-2022, 09:06 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: That looks great Peter - congratulations and enjoy!

Malcolm - just chanced upon this photo tonight, it was a lovely trip with 5 year old Willow, who is now 13...

And here is Willow at the Tan Hill Inn, the highest public house in Britain (1732ft above sea level) on the same 2013 Pennine Run.    

A beautiful spring Saturday morning for the Bristol Austin 7 Club "March Hare Run". Here we are at the Goods Yard in Tetbury, Gloucestershire. 14 cars in the convoy.

30 miles around the Cotswolds, including some very pretty villages, followed by lunch at a country inn. Very pleasant day!
Yesterday I got the new engine for the Ulster Rep set up on the test bed ready for firing up.   With no starter fitted, I hand cranked it which is perhaps not the easiest way to start a freshly built engine.   Once I had reset the ignition it fired up at once and ran smoothly until I stopped it.  This morning it fired up on the first swing of the handle and further adjustments were made to the timing.   The engine has a new Barlow crank, standard rods, a lovely 1928 block with low mileage pistons, standard valves with double springs and flattened followers, standard cam and a wedged low comp. head.   For the test bed I am using a standard manifold with Zenith carb that I know is correctly set up, being the one I lent Duncan to try on his special a while ago.
You never know what the characteristics of an engine will be until you get it running, they all seem to be different.  The present engine in the Ulster is not what I would describe as a 'revvy' engine but it produces good power and huge torque.  The new engine appears to be extremely responsive and just wants to rev, it will be interesting to see what it is like when installed in the Ulster with the different inlet and exhaust arrangement.
I am slightly concerned that the engine has no knocks, screeches or other ominous noises, no oil leaks and a very clean
exhaust!   The next stage is to fit the radiator and let it run for a longer period.    

It being Mothers' Day (or Mothering Sunday if you prefer), I picked up Debs' mum in a proper car. Which was nice.

Looking good Malcolm. Good to see you had the fire-extinguisher handy!
Some of the LCES fleet of Sevens in the car park below the Metropole in Llandod early]this morning. A wholly objective marshal comments, only one Seven failed to clear our section.

[attachment=17429

Many rude words projected at the keyboard and the forum have wholly failed to correct the display of the second image, apologies.