The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Yesterday I got the new engine for the Ulster Rep set up on the test bed ready for firing up.   With no starter fitted, I hand cranked it which is perhaps not the easiest way to start a freshly built engine.   Once I had reset the ignition it fired up at once and ran smoothly until I stopped it.  This morning it fired up on the first swing of the handle and further adjustments were made to the timing.   The engine has a new Barlow crank, standard rods, a lovely 1928 block with low mileage pistons, standard valves with double springs and flattened followers, standard cam and a wedged low comp. head.   For the test bed I am using a standard manifold with Zenith carb that I know is correctly set up, being the one I lent Duncan to try on his special a while ago.
You never know what the characteristics of an engine will be until you get it running, they all seem to be different.  The present engine in the Ulster is not what I would describe as a 'revvy' engine but it produces good power and huge torque.  The new engine appears to be extremely responsive and just wants to rev, it will be interesting to see what it is like when installed in the Ulster with the different inlet and exhaust arrangement.
I am slightly concerned that the engine has no knocks, screeches or other ominous noises, no oil leaks and a very clean
exhaust!   The next stage is to fit the radiator and let it run for a longer period.    

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by Malcolm Parker - 27-03-2022, 11:33 AM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM