The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Having worked for many years in Shrewsbury, lived in Whitchurch, and Shavington is not so far from where I currently live (7 or 8 miles away), its very much a local car to the area here. I'm not local to here however, I'm welsh.

My RL suffered the fate yours may have, in that the bodywork was removed from the running gear, actually to build a tourer. As the chassis no plate was still on the body when we bought it, I can see it is now an AF tourer and has lost its original registration number.

We got the body, wings/doors bonnet etc from an advert in the Exchange and Mart.

We had (and I still have) a significant number of Seven spares, but did not have any SWB coupled chassis (they have always been valuable things to sell)

Father was a prolific finder of stuff, and dealt a lot in vintage car spares, some of which also came from the scrap (he was a scrap metal dealer as well as a local authority engineer). He knew of the remains of a SWB 7 box saloon and a 10 saloon in a wood on a farm locally, the bodies were so bad that they had practically disintegrated and there were no mechanical components, hence he had never bothered with them before.

Luckily for us the 7 was an RL with a chassis (and steering box), and even better the farmer still had the log book for it. Turns out this chassis was 18 chassis numbers from the chassis my body had been fitted to.

Merging the two, running gear components out of the spares shed, an engine from Mick Kirkland and bingo I had a 'car'. The hardest thing to find was the fuel tank. A screw on badge type cowl was also a challenge. And I had to buy a set of closed centre wheels.

Having built it up from bits, it is probably not amazingly 'year correct', but over time I have made it more accurate. I see yours has the same throttle shaft as the RP has for example, mine is a chummy one I bent to make it work better.

The 10 chassis was FUBAR, and much of it was left there, but the 'car' did yield 4 nice bakerlight door catch covers. In the days before 3d printing, and when people were still restoring vintage cars these sold for more money than we paid for the remains of the 2 cars!.

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by Hedd_Jones - 24-03-2022, 01:45 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM