The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven

Hedd

My car UX 8191 was registered on 1st March 1931 to a Mr Alfred Kay of 3, Atcham, Shrewsbury.   It then spent several years in Whitchurch before being sold in 1974 to a chap in Shavington, Crewe who did little with the car except dismantle it and strip the paint of the bonnet until it came my way in 1998.
I was put onto the car by a joiner friend in Thirsk who was pally with a lad who worked as a caretaker at Breckenborough Hall, a stately home 4 miles west of Thirsk.  The car belonged to this lads Father in law.  As usual when I was alerted to the car, I guessed it might be an Austin A30 or something, but a few days later my joiner pal came into my office with a photocopy of the log book and a photograph, probably taken in the late 50's or early 60's.  I was confident buying the car 'unseen' but many people would have scrapped the body and built an Ulsteroid on the chassis and running gear.  When purchased it had a later 3 brg engine and 4 speed box fitted and the tunnel and bulkhead had been butchered accordingly.  Also the two front seats had been replaced by a large bench seat, a sort of homemade sofa that weighed a ton.
On getting the car back home to Boltby, Whilst still on the drive I bolted the carburettor which was in the back of the car back on, filled the float chamber with petrol and connected a battery to the coil.  On the first turn of the handle the engine burst into life, the fan nearly taking my nose end off.   The engine cannot have run since 1974 at least, some 25 years previously.
Like you, I enjoy the RL more than any other Austin 7 I have ever owned.   It has always had a mildly tuned engine which helps with the hills.   Below are some photos of the car when I got it and during the restoration.  The photos are scans so the colours are a bit weird.
I later found out that Breckenborough Hall was the home of Sir Francis Samuelson, a well known Austin 7 racing driver.

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by Malcolm Parker - 24-03-2022, 12:50 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM