The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
(22-03-2022, 03:08 PM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: Malcolm, very nice. When I restored by RL I wanted to paint it black. I had red wheels in stock. I wanted black over black, red wheels and trim. I was persuaded out of it, and went for a dove grey body. No regrets. But your car looks stunning. 

Noting the blue coachline, father used to have the 1931 poverty model (and thus side valve) Singer 10 saloon. Original finish for the rolling chassis was a very deep blue. almost a royal blue. I have always thought a royal blue chassis, with black coachwork would be very smart, with option of blue or black wheels. 

Thanks for the kind comments, Hedd.  My car was originally dark blue and when I restored it in 1999 I decided on all black.  Andy Hastings, who did the bodywork recoiled in horror.  He regarded black as the most difficult colour, due to the way it reflects the light.  If you look at the rear body panels either side of the rear window, you can still see that they are slightly indented where the car has been pushed over the years.
When I got the car, the trim was a beige woolen material.  It left the factory with cloth trim but this had been replaced. From the word go I wanted it to have moquette upholstery which was woven for me by Holdsworth's in Halifax, at one time the leading supplier of moquette in the world.   The same pattern moquette was subsequently used when the works twin-cam was restored.   My car doesn't share any other twin-cam parts!
I will be driving the RL down to Moreton in Marsh in July.  I will shortly be fitting the engine and gearbox that are currently in the Ulster rep.  I am hoping that the extra torque will suit the 'Andes' gear ratios and make the car even more enjoyable to drive.

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by Malcolm Parker - 24-03-2022, 09:42 AM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM