The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Malcolm, very nice. When I restored by RL I wanted to paint it black. I had red wheels in stock. I wanted black over black, red wheels and trim. I was persuaded out of it, and went for a dove grey body. No regrets. But your car looks stunning. 

Noting the blue coachline, father used to have the 1931 poverty model (and thus side valve) Singer 10 saloon. Original finish for the rolling chassis was a very deep blue. almost a royal blue. I have always thought a royal blue chassis, with black coachwork would be very smart, with option of blue or black wheels. 

Anyway. For no other reason than because, I thought I'd take the water manifold off the block of the engine I've just taken out of the blue saloon.

When this car came here it was on straight dihydrogen monoxide coolant. With oil leaking into it. A change of heads cured that, but it never did start well - hence why its come out.

When I changed the head, the top manifold was FUBAR (rotten), but I did put ethylene glycol in it after. It always ran a bit warm, to the point I put a 4 blade fan on it. Not hot, but warm.

The side manifold was getting a bit moist also, in 2 spots. at the back and around the hose.

Well, I managed to snap the front off gently attaching it with a lever, mainly because the casting was rotted almost through all over. The rear half was very reluctant to come off the stud. some rotation was attempted, and the stud pulled out (deep joy). All fixable.

What interested me was that the rear end was totally blocked with gelled antifreeze. Yuk. There was a hole there too. Thank god for the gloop or it would have been leaking sooner!!

I've never knowingly mixed antifreeze types. But from working it out this block probably went on the engine in 1992 when it was sleeved.

As I said, it ran warm, but not hot. It did have the benefit of a modern (er 1980's!) core.

The replacement engine, runs a lot cooler on a 2 blade fan.

.jpg   water passageway 2.jpg (Size: 77.44 KB / Downloads: 246)
.jpg   water passageway 3.jpg (Size: 58.02 KB / Downloads: 247)
.jpg   water passageway.jpg (Size: 72.7 KB / Downloads: 249)

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by Hedd_Jones - 22-03-2022, 03:08 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM