The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Ahh, I understand, a treat yet to come for you David.

Ivor, our RK is lovely and cosy, it burls along the road - great fun. I also think it looks just right. I would like to try a AH tourer at some point too, of all the Sevens it has the widest rear seat, perfect for three growing teenagers!
Three teenagers in the back of a single Austin Seven! Do they have to stand up with their heads in the open air, or take it in turns for one to sit on the luggage rack?

Will all Welsh Sevens be out to be photographed beside some daffodils, as it is St David’s Day? Even if mine breaks it’s crankshaft on the drive, the springtime delight will snapped by daffs.
We've had the RP in the family 40 years. Father had a very late Ruby before that. My grandfather also ran a late Ruby. 

Father always said the late box was the best 7. 

I guess its all about what you want to do with it. As a family car its the favourite here. Quiet gearbox, more room, a roof for wet or cold days, a sunshine roof for nice days. 

I guess its a good bit lighter than a Ruby, and untill a month ago had basically Ruby running gear albeit 2 bearing (a sync box). Being lighter it should 'go' better. I find 1st gear almost needless, its far too low. 

On the flip side my short wheelbase cars wouldn't have broken down the other day with a dicky fuel pump, nor have they a fuel gauge that doesnt work!. 

When going out alone, my favourite is the chummy. Compared the the saloons it is so sprightly. I like it with the sidescreens on more than without. 

But for driving experience, I like the SWB box. The 3 speed gearbox in my opinion has much nicer ratios. And the ball change top is much nicer to use than the gate change in the chummy (mainly because the lever is longer)
Thanks Ruairidh, I’ve always thought the RK would be cosy and its light weight would mean it goes well, perhaps the only answer is to have both!

I agree with a Hedd that the Chummy is relatively sprightly and more fun to drive, especially as mine had a late engine and box, which meant a nice long gearstick and a bit more whizz...I think Hedd has the right idea, get one of every model, he’s nearly there!
As Ruairidh recently noted - this thread was approaching a seven figure read-count and has now reached it. Reckless is to be heartily congratulated!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Our RF 1929 fabric saloon is my everyday transport. It's cosy in winter, as the gearbox is not covered so heat comes through from the engine.
I went into Edinburgh on Sunday to meet my daughter & son for lunch, 75 mile round trip. There was a fairly strong southerly wind so could cruise at 50 & hit 60 mph coming down the hill at Soutra. Return a bit slower against the wind so cruising 40-50, 30 up the steeper hills.
I find it a practical car, excellent in traffic because it's so small. Not much traffic around here in The Borders & no dual carriageways or motorways.
The three of use used my son's Audi TT to go for lunch. That was a mistake - there's more room in the Austin! Lorna's head was wedged between the tailgate window and front seat headrest. It's a pig to get out of too.
Jim
Fabric bodied cars are a delight - no rattles!
(01-03-2022, 11:04 AM)Nick Salmon Wrote: As Ruairidh recently noted - this thread was approaching a seven figure read-count and has now reached it. Reckless is to be heartily congratulated!

Well done Bruce - great job!
(01-03-2022, 08:21 AM)Steve kay Wrote: Three teenagers in the back of a single Austin Seven! Do they have to stand up with their heads in the open air, or take it in turns for one to sit on the luggage rack?

Will all Welsh Sevens be out to be photographed beside some daffodils, as it is St David’s Day? Even if mine breaks it’s crankshaft on the drive, the springtime delight will snapped by daffs.

Hi Steve

I did a shopping trip and then a quick circuit to Builth and Newbridge in the Special.  Sorry no photos  Sad.

Dydd Gwyl Dewi Sant Hapus to all.

Cheers

Howard
What you need, Ruairidh is a project (yes another one) - Build a long wheelbase A7 with TWO rows of back seats then the girls can have plenty of space. A 6 wheeler would look really cool!

I hadn't noticed the thread/post/view count but happy you're all enjoying it!