The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
We've had the RP in the family 40 years. Father had a very late Ruby before that. My grandfather also ran a late Ruby. 

Father always said the late box was the best 7. 

I guess its all about what you want to do with it. As a family car its the favourite here. Quiet gearbox, more room, a roof for wet or cold days, a sunshine roof for nice days. 

I guess its a good bit lighter than a Ruby, and untill a month ago had basically Ruby running gear albeit 2 bearing (a sync box). Being lighter it should 'go' better. I find 1st gear almost needless, its far too low. 

On the flip side my short wheelbase cars wouldn't have broken down the other day with a dicky fuel pump, nor have they a fuel gauge that doesnt work!. 

When going out alone, my favourite is the chummy. Compared the the saloons it is so sprightly. I like it with the sidescreens on more than without. 

But for driving experience, I like the SWB box. The 3 speed gearbox in my opinion has much nicer ratios. And the ball change top is much nicer to use than the gate change in the chummy (mainly because the lever is longer)

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by Hedd_Jones - 01-03-2022, 09:05 AM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM