The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Now that the two saloons are generally roadworthy, I hope the chummy still is (it was when I last looked at it), and I have a target date in March to get the steam roller 'roadworthy' (it currently being drive around the yard worthy). And as soon as Ive got the GE cup engine running it can be sold (with the rest of the car) I thought I needed a new project.

So I bought this the other day, thankfully without the extensions, it fitted in the Beetle. I went to buy the front half of a chassis, got there and upgraded, twice the money, twice as much chassis. This is a 1934 job. Its about as straight as a bannana, a previous owner didn't believe in the weld a bit - let it cool a bit theory when boxing the rails. DOH. I'm rather hoping jacking it under the arse end of something rather heavy may well improve its alignment. Not that it matters given what I intend to do with it.

Most of the big bits in stock for this project. The engine currently in the blue saloon will form the basis. It will be a 'special', but not as commonly known here. Not sure if I'll go short cowl, or tall yet.

Its going to be a walk alongside, low geared shed shunter. Hand clutch, couple of gearboxes and quite heavy. It'll get used to shunt 4 wheel trailers in and out of my shed. I'm getting too old for climbing on and off the Fordson Major all the time.

If anyone has any gubbins in their stock of spares previously used to join 2 gearboxes I would be interested, save me re-inventing the wheel. Also any home brewed engine governors (the Military used Austin 10 engines with governors on them for pumps/welders etc. One of these would be good). Possibly also interested if anyone might have an A30 rear axle, would be nice to keep the Austin 7 connection rather than narrow a randy lover axle.

Hopefully the biggest expense will be in welding rods.

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by Hedd_Jones - 15-02-2022, 08:32 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM