The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Fitting hoses and Jubilee clips responds well to cleaning up new or old castings.

New alloy:- Often come with a casting ridge along the round length.....file back to just about level then strip of abrasive cloth part wrapped round till all surface blends together.  Less tightening of clip will be required for water tight join and will put rubber under less stress.  I also use a silicone grease round the surface to help hose slide and position itself and perhaps prevent corrosion.

Old alloy:- often pitted and corroded.  Clean thoroughly.....wash, wire brush etc. then smear all round with JB weld or similar.  Once dry gentle file off worst rough then strip of abrasive to give final round clean finish.

May seem a bit of extra work but saves in the end and not so much strain on over squashed rubber from clips.

Dennis

Worked on front axle back plates.
Today, being slightly warmer I gave a quick squirt of engine paint to the tab lock washers, where they were bent up against the bolt heads, in the hope of restoring a bit of damaged paint surface.  Also to ends of bolts where they are flush with stub axle on the other side in the hope of sealing ends by capillary action on thread.
I used a heat gun to warm up the metal first then had it standing vertically under and with the help of a fan heater to keep temperature up while paint cured.  Then did same to other side.
There was a blanket and cover over the top of the axle and chassis to keep the heat in.

I don't know how well the rattle can engine paint will take to the POR15 that the back plates/stubs were painted with.

Dennis

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by Dennis Nicholas - 02-02-2022, 12:54 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM