The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Had a bit of 7ing over the holidays. Trying out a new photo host for this post also.

I have been slowly working through the temp engine to go in the blue saloon while I sort the defects on its current one. Nothing of great interest, save one sump bolt hole was figure of 8 shape, the previous owner having drilled and fitted the last bolt (which snapped on me) half into the case half into a previously snapped bolt (!). I drilled out the most recent position and when cleaning with the tap the crescent bit came out of the previous rubbish job, actually jammed up the tap and caused much swearing. I have attempted a repair using JB weld so we shall see how that goes. Its 2/3rds of its circumference threded ok in the ali. 1/3 in JB weld. I wasn't about to strip this engine too to weld it up at this stage, and there is not enough meat for a helicoil (not that I like them). Now waiting on consumables, which should see that engine ready to fit sometime next week, assuming I grind the valves and set clearances some point this week. Though I do need to check clutch operation, the toggles look suspiciously far in.

In preparation, I took the current engine out. I havn't taken an engine out of this car since I was a teenager, and remembering what a PITA the clutch pedal is, remembered some advice about taking the gearbox off in situ. Bloody marvellous. Easy peasy despite it being a low frame crankcase with little clearance to the bulkhead above the flywheel.

[Image: 51799327220_6895ff4b4f_k.jpg]

With the engine off I gave the Bosch dizzy a refresh given its now nearly 15years old, and the car was missing. New cap, points, rotor and condensor. A dose of looking at the weights etc and a coat of paint to tone it down a bit. I havn't changed the leads at this point as I can just swap them from either of the other 2 cars (which are not missing), if the miss continues on the replacement engine.  It made an interesting comparison to the Lucas DS4 I also sorted to go on the chummy in due course, having found a clamp assembly with the proper bolt and spring etc. Incidentally this is pretty much as bought, but I'm not sure it will have worked as the cap fitted and the rotor arm did not touch. I have changed the cap from one of the DS4's I had before buying this one, which fits as it should and hope all will be well now.

[Image: 51798963994_9b4e1680b7_k.jpg]

[Image: 51797648002_46af3cc73a_k.jpg]

Between messing with 7's I had to winterise my 2 steamers, so I donned my best Covid 19 shopping PPE (its a face fit FFP3 mask so yes it is of sufficient specification to act as PPE against Covid) and got stuck in cleaning and oiling.

[Image: 51798595661_5bde662bc2_k.jpg]

[Image: 51797651757_008219df4f_k.jpg]

And then on new years eve, we decided to visit Stalag Luft Wales (avoiding new years day expecting it to be busier), for some lunch at the Pondarosa Cafe on top of the Horseshoe pass. Followed by a look round Llangollen and some cakes from the deli. The new springs are superb 3 up. I felt the car was a bit down on 'go', particularly going up the pass as I couldn't change back up into middle from bottom. This car has not had a lot of use since I popped he floor with the nobbys (all now fixed). But stopping at Sainsburys in Whitchurch for some lamb for new years day lunch I smelt a hot brake, which was no doubt the cause (they were adjusted after fitting the springs). A quick adjustment on the rod from the pedal to the crossshaft and the brake was cool on landing at home. 'Go' was restored with an indicated 50mph on the newly working speedo was seen (and maintained).

[Image: 51797649587_cb9be2e8ca_z.jpg]

[Image: 51797648912_856d6a195a_z.jpg]

[Image: 51797648282_69aeb60649_z.jpg]

Looks like the smaller pics are better. Lesson learned.

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by Hedd_Jones - 04-01-2022, 11:41 AM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM