The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
That's a Yorkshire thing (even though Tideswell is in Derbyshire). Another delicacy from God's own County is a "Fishcake" which is a sandwich of cod between two slices of potato, battered and deep fried. I love 'em.

If you want a fishcake, which is mashed potato & fish in breadcrums you have to ask for a "Rissole".

Not forgetting chips with "scraps".
(24-12-2021, 06:06 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: ...Not forgetting chips with "scraps".

The food of the Gods  Tongue
Having lived in North Yorkshire most of my life I've not come across scallops up here at all. I was surprised to find them in Birmingham when I went to college there in 1971 ... maybe it's an invasive species from the Midlands that got into South Yorkshire via the M42 ;-)
We certainly had them in Chesterfield, so we probably sent them up the A61; they probably all got eaten before they got north of Leeds  Tongue
Is there an article on the bivalve molluscs of Chesterfield awaiting publication, and is scollop purely a West Midlands thin slice of meat, sometimes deep fried?
In Brum they were slices of large potatoes battered and deep fried. Neither fish nor flesh…
(so perhaps otter? Falstaff, Henry IV pt 1) don’t mention the tarka dahl ?

My parents were from West Hartlepool. Mam sliced up underboiled potatoes and fried them to create what she called scallops. No batter involved.

Dad used to batter and deep fry anything, Mars bar, ice-cream etc

At the end of the war they came to live in part of the West Riding that later became North Yorkshire.
That celebration menu was bit lavish! Was it for board room or factory canteen I wonder....
Probably just the shareholders, although the press were invited to the introduction of the first car in April 1906, so perhaps that was the occasion.