The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Bob, there are 2 roadworthy L/C cars here. Nowt wrong with them, but the cars they power are 6 inches lighter. The car this head is going in already has an engine with a H/C head on it, and its had it 40+ years. I'm quite used to how it runs!.

Austins simply improved power as they needed to as the cars got heavier. The heaviest 7 produced was probably the ARR ruby, so developed an engine to keep performance adequate in it.

This is going in a RP. With its current engine the performance is on a par with my RL with its L/C head and higher back axle ratio. Mybchummy of course wipes the floor with both. I dare say if I put a L/C head on this one the RP would be left by the RL. Im hoping a decent engine will make it go even better, so will stay with a H/C head.

This engine is a ebay chance job. Looks tidy enough, certainly refreshed before laying up, but its far from as new. It came from near skegness on an engine frame with gearbox, coil and oil gauge. I think some old boy had passed away and this came from the family. The old engine will return with its phoenix crank in due course, either with a different block and pistons, or with the existing one honed and re rung. We shall see what i find when it comes appart. I might swap the guts into a proper period case too. This is just a short term engine. That said, with only one arse and 3 roadworthy cars now, the mileage they do isnt big individually. Thats why Ive put up with the bad starting, low compression, oil in the water and monster oil leaks in the current lump!.But I dont like having engines in bits long so will get stuck into the proper engine. Theres a rebuilt block here greased up ready to go.

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by Hedd_Jones - 24-12-2021, 12:03 AM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM