The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
In NZ we have special sections of road called 'passing lanes' which seem to be specifically designed to be nice, straight, clear bits of road so the people doing 70-80kph on winding 100kph roads holding everyone up now get the chance to speed up to 105kph ensuring those who want to pass have to break the speed limit to do so!

Simon
(22-11-2021, 10:52 PM)Chris KC Wrote: I noted with some curiosity on the way home yesterday, on larger roads than these, that when I occasionally tucked in to the left to let traffic behind pass, they simply slowed down too, scared or unprepared to overtake even on quite open stretches of road. That and drivers who seemed prepared to drive miles behind cyclists at 20 mph rather than attempt to pass them!

I have been surprised by this reluctance to overtake for some years now. I keep well in to the left, I try to wave them past, nothing seems to persuade them that it's possible to overtake safely.
Driving to Beaulieu on the A 34 before the M40 was built I found it had many empty lay byes and as soon as a goods vehicle appeared behind I'd pull into a lay by let him pass before a queue developed and pull out behind him. Unfortunately lay byes are scarce these days. Another problem is these extra large SUVs which require 15' gap to get through.
It’s the SUV that won’t go off the tarmac on single track roads that amaze me. I get forced into the scrub because they don’t want to hurt the nice new tyres. I’ve taken to stopping dead with nearside tyre(s) on the edge and turning the engine off… miserable old git? moi? Never!
(24-11-2021, 11:48 PM)David Cochrane Wrote:
(22-11-2021, 10:52 PM)Chris KC Wrote: I noted with some curiosity on the way home yesterday, on larger roads than these, that when I occasionally tucked in to the left to let traffic behind pass, they simply slowed down too, scared or unprepared to overtake even on quite open stretches of road. That and drivers who seemed prepared to drive miles behind cyclists at 20 mph rather than attempt to pass them!

I have been surprised by this reluctance to overtake for some years now. I keep well in to the left, I try to wave them past, nothing seems to persuade them that it's possible to overtake safely.

When using trafficators and hand signals (I now have flashing indicators), I found if you signal a left turn, people will go to overtake you without looking what is coming then swear at you for waiving them past... perhaps you could try that! Wink
(25-11-2021, 03:36 PM)Nick Lettington Wrote:
(24-11-2021, 11:48 PM)David Cochrane Wrote:

When using trafficators and hand signals (I now have flashing indicators), I found if you signal a left turn, people will go to overtake you without looking what is coming then swear at you for waiving them past... perhaps you could try that! Wink
I had similar experience, some 'girl' pulled alongside and gave me a right mouth full.
Being the proper gentleman, i told her to read the highway code, it didn't go down well  Big Grin
We have never had a signal for turning left and the stop signal is arm held as an L reversed (viewed following). In the 1950s the many English immigrants caused bemusement with their wavings. Trucks were fitted with large mechanical arms with a painted hand and the driver erected this in the straight or bent state. 
I was bemused in one club run to see a lone chummy driver executing both right and left signals by leaning across the car. Incidentally I recommend a Michael Jackson glove to produce some chance of moderns taking notice.
The great advantage of hand signals is that motorists did not forget to cancel them, a constant issue with many electric signals.
I recently dismantled several Javelin doors but kept the winders as mechanism exactly the same as RP. I was surprised how relatively unworn drivers was, but the cars had trafficators.
I like soo many others have read the posts on this topic started by Bruce and am amazed by the never ending climb in the number of visits. Over 900,000  and looking like it may top 1 million by the centenary. 
Congratulations RR for asking the question.
 I suspect many are busy across the globe preparing their Austins for the various celebrations, speak up!  we may crack another milestone
(26-11-2021, 01:45 AM)squeak Wrote: I like soo many others have read the posts on this topic started by Bruce and am amazed by the never ending climb in the number of visits. Over 900,000  and looking like it may top 1 million by the centenary. 
Congratulations RR for asking the question.
 I suspect many are busy across the globe preparing their Austins for the various celebrations, speak up!  we may crack another milestone
Although with 47,000 views, credit must go to Ian Williams "What have you done today?" thread that set the ball rolling... RR refined the question somewhat as it was more of an invitation to go off piste than this one!

Having checked... it was actually much more focused!

https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/for...ght=Papier
It has been bleeding cold in North Shropshire as of late, and having been busy at weekends with unseasonal and unexpected steamy adventures, I've not felt like being on my back upside down in the unheated garage to finish off the axle fitment after the new rear springs any evening. So it hasn't got done.

However a long day on Wednesday, means I could take some to time out of the working day today to finish it off.

Did up the rear propshaft connection to the pinion flange.

Crawled underneath to fit the torque tube fixings, oddly figured out the 8 sided nut isnt actually standard 'whit' size, even with all the burrs removed. So courtesy of the angle grinder I modified a spanner to fit. Then did all this up plastering it all in copperslip.

Then found a carden block ARGH. So undid and redid the propshaft rear end again.....

Went for a spin to B&M to find some lunch too.

Some wiring connections to make, paint touch up to the chassis and the interior to refit now. No need to go out into the cold to do any of that. will check the spring and torque tube tightness again after a few miles also. Not done up any of the tab washers yet.

[Image: 261184182_10224587880739028_913077153876...e=61A6018D]

[Image: 261134060_10224587881499047_298489371404...e=61A64DC5]

[Image: 261128538_10224587882179064_241544685928...e=61A68EB2]