The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
I don't kow if anyone else has had this problem, but, ever since I fitted Rubbolite indicators to my car now almost three years ago, I have been plagued by poor connections between the bulbs and the holders. It always seemed to me that the holders were just a bit too big for the bulbs and the cutouts for the pins didn't seem to be deep enough to stop the bulbs from 'falling over' on the connector pin at the bottom. I tried various ploys to try and get the holders to grip the bulbs better, but nothing worked. I did think of replacing the lamps with some reproduction Lucas L281 amber lamps from Paul Beck, but at £50.00 each, they are very expensive! Matter came to a head a couple of weeks ago, when I was nearly rear-ended  when turning right because the offside rear indicator had failed to function properly. So, something had to be done. Accordingly, I did an bit of a web search and found some suitable bulb holders from AES at 4 quid each. On the basis of nothing ventured, nothing gained, I ordered four and these arrived this week and I spent yesterday morning fitting them. They are deeper than the original Rubbolite brass holders and fit the rubber outer covers well. They also hold the bulbs tightly. I now have reliable flashing indicators!

The other problem that I have addressed is my rear brakes. After I relined my brakes about five thousand miles ago, I have had one or two of the linings crack and I have already had to replace the front linings because of this problem. When I examined the brakes at the recent 10K service, I found that one rear lining had cracked and so I have fitted new linings (from a different supplier) to the rear brakes, replacing the wheel bearing retaining nuts and tab washers at the same time, as both nuts looked as if the had been chewed off in the past.

I have also fitted two new rear tyres, which after some 7000 miles were well worn, whilst the fronts are still perfectly serviceable. I have noticed that the fronts have worn more on the outside edges that the inside, no doubt due to the front axle's negative camber, so i have also turned the tyres round on the rims to even things up a bit,

Having done all this work, and the car not having been out for a fortnight,  I took the little car out for road test despite the inclement weather (it has rained all day today). I had occasion to go to Bont Newydd near Dolgellau this morning and from there I retraced my steps and then went over the mountains to Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant  via the Llangynog to feed the horses. I covered a total of 75 miles and I am happy to report that all was well. The indicators work reliably, the brakes stop the car smartly and the car handled well given the wet weather and the cross winds which always unsettle it.

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by David Stepney - 28-10-2021, 08:52 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM