The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
(09-09-2021, 04:26 PM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: If you can find me on facebook, lots

Thanks Hedd but sorry me, not on "fesse de bouc" (goat butt)... Sad
(09-09-2021, 06:35 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: You can remove the ball joint to chassis crossmember rivets with a grinder and replace them with some HT steel bolts. Just remember to put the heads to the front otherwise you'll never get the radius arms back on... (don't ask me why I know that)

Good luck with the radius arms - are they semi Girling?

Thank you for the tip regarding bolting the ball joint on instead of rivets. The arms are not semi-Girling, but standard arms. I shall let people know how I progress getting the arms straightened and repaired. 

Regards,

Jamie
7.30am this morning - a lovely five mile drive down the road to St Mary's Church in Old Welwyn. Purpose of visit - a talk to a Breakfast Club. Subject: The Austin Seven. I had to ask the vicar if absolution was available for running a Chummy wheel over an unsuspecting resident of the churchyard. He seemed to think it wasn't an issue...

Eldest daughter and I have been adding miles to the newly rebuilt RK engine around Speyside.

Aged 12 she still appears happy to sit up front and park up in public, when will my luck run out?
From distant memory coming up teens !! Huh
If the car is old enough or otherwise special it is a virtue to be seen in. In the early 50s my young brother would go to great lengths not to be seen near our RP. (I had been much more involved with my dad  and all the he work did on the car and was proud to be associated with both). 15 years ago my son at secondary school received enthusiastic attention  when in my 1964 Hillman (and esp later if he driving). The wifes Sentra did not count.
(12-09-2021, 12:52 AM)Bob Culver Wrote: ... In the early 50s my young brother would go to great lengths not to be seen near our RP...

In the UK that situation didn't really occur until the late 1950s, when new cars came to be more readily available; in the early/mid-1950s pre-war cars were the usual mode of transport, that's if your father could even afford a car. Our family transport throughout the 1950s was a 1936 Lagonda Rapier, which elicited the response 'Cor! Racer' when I started school, but within five years that became 'Cor! Banger'!
Our family car was always the ‘32 RN saloon which I have now. In the 50’s the kids on our street called it “The Coffee Pot” for some unidentified reason. It always caused hilarity with the kids when my dad drove it up and down the street.
When we went on weekend trips into the Peak District and met my cousins out there I was always pleased to be invited back home in their new Hillman.
Sunday and a group of Bristol A7 club members met at a fellow members farm, SW of Bristol an a lovely autumn day, together with lots of allsorts.

I got to drive a 1919 International Harvester Titan:

.jpg   IMG-20210912-WA0002s.JPG (Size: 73.94 KB / Downloads: 168)

And I had a ride in the ultimate trials car:

I had a Trojan Chummy in my youth. A splendid if pedestrian vehicle. I still have a Trojan Service Manual (3rd Edition) on a shelf in my study.