The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
(23-08-2021, 11:56 PM)INick Lettington Wrote:
(23-08-2021, 10:02 PM)Steve kay Wrote: Alan and Nick, many thanks for the suggestions. Previous discussions have concentrated on differences in assembly, but having looked at another crankcase and the illustrations in the parts list, then of course the threaded hole in the crankcase is not necessary if the set screw threads directly into the bronze bearing. Nick, how does one apply sufficient care to avoid swarf creeping in all over the place, as sod's law of swarf distribution might threaten?

Rags and grease. Rags in the opening left by removal of the dynamo. Possibly if you degrease it sufficiently you could use gaffer tape over the opening. As for the locating hole in the bush, it's a close fit into the crank case and a close fit against the cam, so there isn't really anywhere for the swarf from the tap to go. Grease is surprisingly sticky and thus works pretty well for retrieving the bronze swarf. I thought there was a thread on the forum that covers this but a quick search hasn't revealed it yet.

I go the other way and try to eliminate grease. 
When faced with those sort of compromise jobs I usually clean well with brake cleaner, duck tape over the parts that I can, and have a vacuum cleaner pointed at the swarf running whist I make any chips. Works well. 

Charles

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by Charles P - 24-08-2021, 09:35 AM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM