The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven

Noted, thank you trainee-old-geezer, fortunately not my job to do, however I know the owner has decided to strip the offside axle from diff to brake drum in case there is more to do. Having rebuilt the car a few years ago (with the exception of the bush) it has all new components including beefier drive shafts and is clean and not at all corroded, which makes stripping and rebuilding a mostly pleasant task.
Another rattle we pursued on the first morning after arrival, occurred as we parked having crossed this traditionally cobbled farm yard. It sounded like something loose around the cooling fan. I could just reach it with a finger tip in the fan casing but could not extract it, it felt like a socket. When the casing was stripped we found a 17mm socket! It can only have come from when the fan spindle nut was tightened two years previously by a garageĀ and must have stayed on the fan nut until then!
Here you will see the perplexed owner, riffing on the competence of garage mechanics! Fortunately it was a lovely day for spannering, with refreshments on hand and WC and hand washing facilities

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by Oxford Jack - 20-06-2021, 03:43 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM