The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Hi Simon
 I visited south England about 10 years ago and was intrigued by the roads. Avoided motorways. Many of the secondary roads less modern than main roads here. I guess they more restricted by expensive land, old titles, established stone walls etc.. The back roads of Devon were a surprise, some basically one lane with passing bays and unsealed . Some of the hedges concealed stone walls. I have read that the roads are sunken due the dust blowing away over centuries. Many roads here were surveyed in late 19th century when land had little value so the designated land was wide. Many small rural towns have main streets over 4 lanes wide; folklore has it to enable a bullock team to turn around.
When in my teens I met an older guy who had toured much of the minor roads UK in a Seven. He reckoned his concentration was so focussed on what might appear around the next blind corner that he did not see much of England. As a boy I had a school journal of my fathers; old when he had it about 1920. Had a Morris Oxford with family in Sunday best touring Kent. Featured the hop dry houses. When cutting through a back road I was intrigued to see the very same.
Too many now travel using satnav. Dont really know where they are or been and miss much of interest.

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by Bob Culver - 18-06-2021, 10:11 AM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM