The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Hi Bob

These shafts are Regent shafts and were retrieved from an axle that was being used in a small home made luggage trailer.  I think the damage was done before the conversion as there were no keys present and the hub nuts were just finger tight and held on by the ubiquitous rusty nails in lieu of split pins. 

Cheers

Howard
Today I was Waxoling my wife's car so she took the Ruby to work. I got a call to say the gear lever had broken off - what should she do? I told her there was a spare under the driver's seat and I could explain how to fit it ... but  she decided it would be better for me to come out and rescue her!

If I get the broken one welded what do I do about reinstating the groove for the little chrome disc? Maybe I shouldn't, it might be stronger without it.
A steady hand and a fine cutting disc something like what you get in a Dremel I think would probably do the job.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
When the gear lever in my AH tourer broke a few years ago, I fitted an Austin Ten one, identical save that it is of a heavier gauge at the 'elbow' end. I repaired the old one and carry it as a spare - just in case Sod's law prevails...
True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish

Having rebuilt my spare engine I have done about 300 miles.
All went well, particularly the lip seal fitted to the gear box input shaft.
The Zenith always gave trouble either always stalling at junctions or racing if trying to prevent stalling. Thanks to Rauridh I found the reason, I had what he described as a number one float chamber with a number two type body.
To cure this I bought an 1 1/8” SU although this still requires a bit more tuning it has made a big difference to the performance of the car.
It now ticks over like a steam engine, which also cured the kangaroo reversing, leave at tick over, release clutch, smooth walking pace reverse.?

To check the needle settings I went to Newgale today making the most of a rare sunny day.

Coincidentally I found this photo taken 65 years ago (I am seated in the back seat) of what was the road, which is now the lay-by.
I am using an “AN” needle to start with which looks reasonable so far, I have a few more to try one day soon.

Roger
Working on de-bodging PL3002: What's goin' on 'ere, then? Early Christmas? Late Halloween? Occult engineering? A clue - tempering...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

A touch of cramp ?
Another milestone...

When I got the car out to go for a spin the rain started and I put it away.Then it stopped and the sun came out so I had to go for a quick blast. No doubt familiar to many locals this milestone on the old Great North Road at Kirby Hill has often caught my eye, invariably either without the car or camera.
I remember being driven past it in the Morris Traveller on many occasions on our way to Christmas celebrations in Edinburgh in the early sixties, when the A1 still went through the Boroughgate in Alnwick

I've been past the Bluebell Inn on the old Great North Road hundreds of times and have never noticed the old mile-post, thanks for bringing it to my attention, Duncan.  I will stop and have a good look next time I am down to see you.
Yesterday I bolted the body onto the sprint car, hopefully for good.  The temporary engine is in and almost ready for testing, running on a standard manifold and SU for the purpose.
The rear springs have been replaced with a pair of genuine Ulster springs which have provided more ground clearance as well as being much stiffer.

That looks good. When are we to see it out?
Alan Fairless