The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
(15-10-2020, 10:40 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I believe the car was bog standard - the driver anything but, just as it should be.

Pretty close to bog standard then.
I knew about the shaved head but didn't know it was *that* standard. 
I'm even more impressed. It shows how good the normally "less desirable" late 1930 cars really are - especially when prepared and driven well.

Charles
Impressive, isn’t it?

I have always respected understated cars that are driven well over flashy powerful machines, makes me
smile every time.
... and before the car got ideas above its station, it was a bit of a beauty queen; it even beat the highly-regarded Vauxhall 30-98 Wensum of Jack Broadhead on one occasion:

.jpg   1968-Beaulieu-2.jpg (Size: 159.76 KB / Downloads: 371)
Hi Tony

Glad you have your old car back.

In the first pic by Mike it does look as though It has a bowed front axle.  Are my eyes deceiving me again?

Cheers

Howard
Today, replaced the 6volt flasher unit - the original from one of our suppliers didn't work on arrival, which was reported back to the supplier - I lost the will to argue over a £12 item and bought a replacement elsewhere (E-bay China!!, which also failed after 8 months). Just hope the New Hella unit (Good German engineering) made in India lasts a little longer!
(15-10-2020, 01:41 PM)Howard Wright Wrote: Hi Tony

In the first pic by Mike it does look as though It has a bowed front axle.  Are my eyes deceiving me again?

Cheers

Howard
That was probably an emergency substitute from Tony's Type 65; anything went to keep things going. I seem to recall at one time we had a communal front axle assembly that was only available for MOT use!
Thanks Mike

Talking of things legal.  I took the RK out for (ashamedly) it first real outing of the year.  My excuse is that I’ve been concentrating on the special when lockdown rules have permitted.

Anyway I took my 2 gallon war department petrol can to Tesco and tried filling both car and can up.  Got the car filled but was then stopped by the attendant who claimed my metal can was illegal.  Which it was as it doesn’t have petrol and flammable signs all over it. It is just a tasteful grey with a small plastic petrol sign on the top.  Anyway I was then told that steel cans are illegal and only green plastic 5 Lt jobs are allowed.

Checking the HSE site steel cans are legal if correctly marked.  In fact you can safely fill 10 litres in a steel can but only 5 in a plastic one.

Must be going soft because I don’t have the heart to complain!

Grrrr Had to make two trips just to get a gallon of fuel for the mower!

Cheers

Howard

Attached Files
.jpeg   6BEE78C5-7924-42AC-B34B-18238BDB9BC2.jpeg (Size: 117.84 KB / Downloads: 289)
The HSE reference that I have says 10 litres plastic, 20 metal. I frequently fill 20 litres to allow for some premixing of oil & tetraboost. 
https://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/...ainers.pdf

Charles
Hi Charles

Sorry Finger to keypad overdrive on my part.  20 lt steel and I only wanted 10 lt   Angry.

Cheers

Howard
(15-10-2020, 03:45 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote:
(15-10-2020, 01:41 PM)Howard Wright Wrote: Hi Tony

Cheers

Howard
That was probably an emergency substitute from Tony's Type 65; anything went to keep things going. I seem to recall at one time we had a communal front axle assembly that was only available for MOT use!
Yes, it was just an odd spare, probably replaced as a temporary measure after some wibbly-wobbly on the original. The rest of the suspension was standard, only the axle was bowed.

(15-10-2020, 04:02 PM)Howard Wright Wrote: Anyway I was then told that steel cans are illegal and only green plastic 5 Lt jobs are allowed.

Checking the HSE site steel cans are legal if correctly marked.  In fact you can safely fill 10 litres in a steel can but only 5 in a plastic one.
I believe that the limit on fuel stored in a garage has been increased - but how about storing outside? Presumably, there is no limit and I have a 45-gallon tank against the rear wall once used a store for compressed air. A chap I knew was very naughty. He bought a house with oil-fired central heating - and guess where the fuel ended up. Mind you, Stand Waine the farmer opposite (now departed so they can't get to him) managed, somehow, to tap into the gas main and had free heating for eight years. Very, very naughty indeed.