The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven

What was a bit odd is the evidence that the engine had done virtually no miles, or hours, since new valves put in, as the photo shows. It's an early block with screw in core plugs, but sadly two vertical scores up no 2 cylinder, just visible. That suggest that using an unscored more modern  block would be quicker and cheaper, unless there is a vigorous school of thought that says correct blocks make the difference between respectability and being the spawn of Satan. When I put new valves in I will happily send the four scarcely used Freccia valves to any anorak... oops, valve collector
Thanks for that...Looks neat.
even the non-Freccia valves have been stamped with their position number. It would seem someone made an effort with that engine. Might the scores polish out and the problems overcome with new rings?
Hi Steve

I agree with Hugh.  From the pictures (and it’s hard to tell) the scores don’t look too bad??   If Frecia are good quality valves as suggested, then they have been placed correctly on the exhaust ports.    AND don’t chuck the valves until you’ve checked their condition, it could be that they can be reused.

Cheers

Howard
What's that on No 4 piston and how did it get there?
The contents of no. 4 are some of the thick goo that was in the sump, illustrated above. I took the snap of  the top of the block immediately after taking the head off. It was solid then, by the next day it had freed up. This can be seen as an illustration of the unpredictable. A very  externally dirty engine of dubious origins, seized, turns out to have been what seems to have been well overhauled at some time and subsequently little used.  No chewed up fastenings and not a single metric fastening bodged in. I think initial reservations should be put aside and crankcase M9900 should remain wedded to the screw core plug block, the head that came off was correct with the plugs. The next big question is how big ends and bearings will have survived what could have been decades marinaded in thick brown soup. Wil they be useable, or pitted? Further forum advise may well be requested in due course!
Is it possible the the "goo" is some sort of preservative that the last owner injected into the engine?
Tony, I think not. It was only present in no. 4 cylinder, one might guess due the engine having been upright on the bell housing either in transport or taking up less space in storage. Spark plugs were properly tight and had not been loosed off for goo injection. A pal who is now old and respectable, on seeing the sump contents, did admit that when he was young and wild he had a navigation error that resulted in his Morgan entering the North Sea. Guilt the following day caused early  oil dranage, what came out was a very similar looking emulsion.  Perhaps unfortunately I put it into the waste oil can, otherwise a forum member might have been able to do an analysis.
Finished the radiator stone guard.

Brass angle, machined to make it unequal, bent, silver soldered and plated at home in bright nickel to match the rad. 

Ref thermostat fitting.  What is the temperature span?  Starts to open at?  fully open at? Distance valve opens?

Dennis