The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
I completed the brake reline on the semi girling front axle, using a set of the woven high friction linings from Dave Cochrane. I was having difficulty setting up the brakes and came across a strange phenomenon. With the adjusters backed off I could fit and remove the drums, but as soon as I tightened the three grub screws the brakes would bind.
I guess this is due to the fact that the girling shoes are not self centering relative to the hub and tightening the countersunk screws showed this up. I finally had a Eureka moment and sprayed the inside of the drum with some primer and then fitted the drum whilst the paint was still wet. With the screws tightened, rotating the drum transferred some paint onto the part of the linings that were catching, which I then gently removed with a rasp. It took me two or three goes to get both drums to rotate without catching when fully home, now all I need is a fine day to road test and bed in. Doesn't sound much, but my back told me it was time for tiffin. ( and a Madeleine )

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by Reckless Rat - 25-09-2020, 02:14 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM