The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
(04-08-2020, 04:37 PM)Steve Jones Wrote:
(04-08-2020, 04:04 PM)Malcolm Parker Wrote: In terms of steepness, I think the top of Old Wyche in Malvern might rival it, but that is only a short stretch of road in comparison.   Being the UK, all traffic is now prohibited from Old Wyche but a few years ago the Light Car Section of the VSCC got permission to use it for a demonstration (or as Fred Dybnah would have said 'a demonsteration')  run by cyclecars and three wheeler Morgans (assisted by the Morgan Factory in Malvern).  I was one of the marshals at the top of the hill, equipped with a long length of rope to put across the back of any cars that failed to climb the hill, all very 1920's.   It was a red hot day and the pub at the top of the hill, where it joins the main road at an impossibly steep gradient, was crowded with well lubricated spectators.   A young policeman had been sent  to oversee the junction.
What he didn't realise was that some of the 3-wheeler Morgans were racing machines which are very highly geared.  They could only get up the very steep gradient by approaching it at high speed.   A magical afternoon that will long remain in my memory.   The marginally legal motor events are generally the best!

A photo showing Malcolm and his fellow marshals at the top of the hill with their rope remains for posterity on the front cover of the 2000 edition of the VSCC's 'List of Members And Their Cars'. I'll scan it later and add it here. 

Steve

And here he is. Second white hat from the left, chap with his sleeves rolled up.

Steve

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by Steve Jones - 05-08-2020, 11:09 AM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM