The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven

A while ago I applied the Dunford Directions to fitting a side emission exhaust to the Ruby. (Remove exhaust pipe by taking off n/s rear wheel & jiggling pipe  about to extract it, apply angle grinder to pipe to get a suitable short  curved length, rake about in bin to find appropriate dia bit of stainless tube probably left over from dead vacuum cleaner, put  pipe back on and tighten clamp) I did not really notice any difference until this week, when the bridge over the canal was shut due to repairs to a bashed parapet. This means essential shopping has to pass along a lane with numerous speed bumps. I'd previously  thought that the rattling and bashing noises over such bumps were caused by chocks, warning triangle and other emergency items stowed under the spare wheel, or maybe even bump stops, but no. The long unsupported and wobbly exhaust pipe had been waving up and down, speed over bumps is now greater and bashing noises disappeared.  Thanks as ever to the dispenser of advise and knowledge.
Hi Steve

Any noticeable effect on oomph?
I went for the side exit, on my RP. My tailpipe was always hitting the fuel tank or the back axle. It doesn't look as nice as Steve's job. I just used a bit of the existing curve from the up and over exhaust - making sure that it points downwards.
I haven't noticed any change in oomph, but it's definitely worth it for simplicity.
Colin
I have done a similar type of exhaust mod on my RP but without the butchery. I am fortunate in that the car is fitted with an after-market rear luggage rack and the bracketing provides for an easy solution to rear tailpipe mounting. The last bracket on the system is at the rear end of the chassis extension, and it doesn't fit very well which means that the "up, over, down and out" part and the tailpipe are unsupported. This little mod stops it from flapping about and banging on the underside of the fuel tank:

Here is a view of the set up I like to use.

One of my sevens came with a fine chrome "hand" deflector to direct the exhaust away from the lady's nylons.....
Similar available on fleabay often for hot rods ....V8 badged even!
I don't recall the instructions "saying purchase and fit new manifolds, then proceed to exhaust and tail pipes....."
The devil is in the detail...
Rekkers. In your first photograph, your petrol pipe appears to be running perilously close to the exhaust system or is it just an optical illusion?

With regards to exhaust systems in general, I was under the impression that the original RP exhaust tailpipe ran between the tank and the nearside rear wing. The tailpipe was modified to run under the tank on the introduction of the Ruby in late '34, as there was bodywork in the way. Cherished suppliers seem only to supply the Ruby type exhaust, which fits the RP quite well provided attention in made to the placing of the rear support bracket. Certainly, my (new) exhaust system neither rattles nor fouls things. I did find it necessary, however, to put a couple of thick rubber washers in the mounting supporting the end of the silencer to the chassis to stop it growling.
I am intrigued to what the first part of exhaust is for Ruairidh's picture... i.e. what fits nicely (like that one!) with a bunch of bananas in place of a standard manifold. Has that required further bending, Ruairidh, or is that an off-the-shelf part? I realise bunches of bananas are all going to be different, but...