The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Today's lockdown task (ie the things we are doing that we have been meaning to do for ages) was to fit a David Cochrane steering arm to the Cabriolet. A task that I'm ashamed to admit, has been waiting probably 10 years to get around to after buying the new arm. The whole thing went as sweet as a nut and only took 40 minutes, I'm now back in the house, cleaned up and about to have a cuppa and think what I'm going to do for the rest of the day...
Coincidentally, I have just nailed up on my garage wall the steering arm I removed from the RP prior to my Spanish odyssey. Rather than binning it I will keep it on show as a reminder as to how close it was to letting go..
Robin has since driven his RN into and out of the garage and reports that the clutch, gears and brakes work Tony.
Putting the Box together (for the second time) I keep finding additional bits that need sorting, before I complete the repaint and final assembly and the dashboard is one of them.
When found, a previous owner had fitted a huge valve wireless in the glove box, with a glorious plywood facia ( look at the “before” photograph!) together with what I’m told was the cockpit heater out of a WW2 aeroplane, the result was the dash was hacksawed up and drilled with myriad holes.
I’ve made all the replacement metalwork from 18 gauge steel and the after shot shows them all welded in place....now to make it look nice...
Before:

After

Much better looking Ivor, lots of hard work there - well done !!

Is that the original blue body colour peeping through the metalwork ??

Aye
Greig
Yes Greig, it was originally a turquoise car, but changed to red and black years ago...as you can see it was well used right up until the 90s with no intention other than to drive it!

Thanks for those kind words, I shall press on, I want it trundling around the lanes before Winter sets in.
I used to look into any Sevens encountered in the 1960s and went out in several when shopping for one before mine was mobile and in the same- Island. States approaching that of the photo were not uncommon. Often there was no hint of original upholstery. By stark contrast the cars today in Pick a Part and other basic wrecking yards all seem like new. Leatherboard was  one of the more ingenious panellings. 
Valve radios drew as much or more current than the original headlamps.  Would hve to be very loud underway and parking up could be limited.
Preparing to deliver another bodyshell.

Peter.

An excellent repair. In its original state, the car is what John Ward would have referred to as a "grot box". i.e. any car used for hacking with not a care in the world as to what it looked like. In this case, the previous owner appears to have taken the maxim to something of an extreme.
Reported Spam