The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
The VW Polo, having deranged its gearchange mechanism thereby rendering it 'hors de combat', an urgent search across the internet ensued  for the parts required to put it back to working order. As it turned out, there was one being privately broken down near Rhaglen in South Wales and, having ascertained that the required parts were available, I took the RP saloon down to collect them, it being the only vehicle available to me to do so.

Those of you who have read my previous posts on this thread will be aware that I have recently comprehensively serviced the little car and restored it to as perfect a working order as is possible with a vehicle now fast approaching its 87th birthday. I have heard it said that, in an Austin Seven, any trip outside the parish is an adventure and that any journey outside the county is an expedition. So, in the spirit of undertaking such an expedition to the fabled and little-known lands to the south of Newtown, at about 10.30 yesterday morning, the Motoring Dog and I set off in the Seven from Bala down to Rhaglen.

We travelled over the mountains to Llangynog to feed my horses and then down the Tanat Valley, joining the main A483 at Llynclys. At Welshpool, I filled up with petrol and set off via Newtown, Llandrindod Wells, Builth Wells and along the Wye Valley to Talgarth and  on to Abergavenny. The A479 is presently closed, but there is a sneaky way round by travelling on the B4560 from Talgath to Bwlch on the A40, which is considerably shorter than the official diversion which takes you through to Brecon. I finally arrived at my destination, at the village of Llansoy, a little south of Rhaglen at approximately 3.00 pm.

Having collected the parts, I set off on the return journey at about 3,30pm. I filled up again at the Ford agents in Rhaglen and retraced my steps as far as Welshpool, where I decided to branch off and return via the A490 to Llanfyllin, and then along the B4391, crossing over the Banwy, Cain and Tanat Valleys and thence home, arriving back at about 8.30pm.

And it pithered with rain all day!

Travelling time, including stops of petrol and Llew (the dog) and I to stretch our legs was 5 hours down and 4 1/2 hours back. Total distance travelled was 266 miles, although I must admit the last 40 or so miles were a bit of an ordeal (I was tired by then and very saddle-sore!). Although I didn't do a strict petrol consumption check, the Seven returned about 41 mpg and used (leaked?) about 1/2 pint of oil in the distance.

The little car never missed a beat and did the journey with far more aplomb than the driver.  I think that 260 miles in one day at about the limit of my endurance in any car. However, I am ceaselessly amazed at just how dependable an Austin Seven is, despite its age. Certainly as reliable a a modern car, although perhaps a tad less comfortable!

Photos: No expedition is complete without them:

.jpg   S007I001Car outside Auto Palace Llandod.JPG (Size: 121.43 KB / Downloads: 220)

Outside Auto palace in Llandrindod Wells

.jpg   S007I002 Car at Rhaglen.JPG (Size: 88.38 KB / Downloads: 218)

Seven at Rhaglen

.jpg   S007I003 Car at Abergavenny.JPG (Size: 108.11 KB / Downloads: 218)

In Abergavenny

.jpg   S007I004 Car at Crickhowell.JPG (Size: 120.22 KB / Downloads: 219)

Stopped for buns in Crickhowell.

.jpg   S007I005 Car at Builth Wells.JPG (Size: 127.28 KB / Downloads: 218)

Seven in Builth Wells

.jpg   S007I006 Tanat Valley from Pen-y-Garnedd.JPG (Size: 95.54 KB / Downloads: 218)

Looking across the Tanat Valley from Pen-y-Garnedd

.jpg   S007I007 Tanat Valley towards Llangynog.JPG (Size: 107.47 KB / Downloads: 218)

Looking along the Tanat Valley towards Llangynog.

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by David Stepney - 04-06-2020, 03:24 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM