The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
(20-05-2020, 09:15 AM)Ivor Hawkins Wrote: As you have a widened axle on a special, I would take the opportunity to make up a twin shock absorber set up as described in the Austin Seven Companion, which would give you the opportunity to match the added axle width precisely
Is there something special I should watch for? I'm thinking the arm right below the hole with the short links. because if I do the arm above the hole the arm can interfere with the spring clamp.
[Image: b84BQMP.jpg]

[Image: h4OU84a.jpg]

(21-05-2020, 01:59 AM)Bob Culver Wrote: Hi Dellie

i trust the extended track rod is safer than it looks! Would be a Warrant of Fitness fail here
It's widened as well but it looks solid actually. It's just badly stripped of paint.

With kind regards.
Pieter
I would leave the link pointing upwards as in your photo and space the link away from the axle to give clearance between the shock absorber arm and the spring clip. The clearance doesn't have to be much - just a few thou to prevent the clip from rubbing on the arm. You can get the right geometry to make the link and arm meet by spacing the two centres of the shock absorbers appropriately.
This week I have expanded my self isolation to include time in the workshop 3 miles away. 
OY chassis has been stripped down, cleaned and is ready for truing.
Body upended for cleaning and painting of the underside.

Hi all, my car got a visit from his big brother today _ my friends 1926 Austin Mayfair. 1926.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Took the Ruby for it's first drive. About 5 miles.

First time it's been driven since 1967.

First time I have ever driven a seven.
Wonderful.   Congratulations .

Do you want to repeat the experience, I wonder?
Yes Simon, I do want to drive it again! Mostly it was enjoyable. Engine seems to like to rev, which isn't my usual driving style, but it can be. Steering is wonderfully quirky, and I've always enjoyed driving with no brakes, so all is good. Gear ratios seem odd. Anything less than 32 mph and it needs 3rd gear. Setting off from rest on the level and first gear seems too low, but second seems too high. But yes it's good and the human mind soon adapts to these things.
(25-05-2020, 09:35 PM)andrew34ruby Wrote: Yes Simon, I do want to drive it again!  Mostly it was enjoyable. Engine seems to like to rev, which isn't my usual driving style, but it can be. Steering is wonderfully quirky, and I've always enjoyed driving with no brakes, so all is good. Gear ratios seem odd. Anything less than 32 mph and it needs 3rd gear. Setting off from rest on the level and first gear seems too low, but second seems too high. But yes it's good and the human mind soon adapts to these things.
Very well done - that must have been a most interesting experience. Many cars of the 1930s with a 4-speed 'box had a very low first gear; it saved the previous situation, with a 3-speed 'box, of having to go up very steep hills in reverse - and I'm not kidding!
Well done Andrew! It is probably 50 years since I drove an ARQ Ruby. The example I drove belonged to friend who had owned it from new. It had done about 60,000 miles  and was a very civilised little car indeed. 

If it won't run properly in top at less than 30mph, you may have to do some running adjustments. Mechanically, your car will be very similar to my RP saloon and should pull in top from about 20mph (the RP handbook urges one not to drive in top below 18mph!). Whilst I accept that, with the early crash box, my RP is lower geared in the indirects than your Ruby and the Ruby is also slightly heavier, you should be able to pull away in most situations in second without difficulty. AS Tony Griffiths has said, bottom is really an emergency low gear.

Good luck with your little car!
The reactions of the unfamiliar to (sorted) Sevens is always interesting. Most on the Forum have unconsciously adapted to their curious ways. It is a blessing Clarkson never got hold of one. He would not have had to deliberately nobble it as he did the three wheeler.