The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
(05-05-2020, 09:06 AM)Dave Mann Wrote: Just completed the resurrection of a mutilated starting handle housing for a friend's 3 speed RN. He requested I made it 8.25" long to get the handle clear of the rad cowl whereas a standard 3 speed RN one is 7.25". We haven't worked out why he needs the extra inch.
We all need the extra inch......  though is odd, is it not as the car appears to be perfectly standard; correct gearbox, crankcase, etc. What on earth could have happened? Dave, tell us all how the cross pin in the starting handle is secured; for those who don't know, it's pretty ingenious.
Took the Chummy into town today for essential weekend shopping: Bread and Beer.

And some more Beer.....

My condolences Steve I think that's the best way although it's a shock for the relatives. Ah if you look at the engine end of an original starting handle Tony all is revealed. The end is counter bored in almost the centre of which is a nice smooth spherical depression where something has been well and truly driven into it by I suspect a press. Replicas have a pin which is a sliding fit in the hole secured by a grub screw, it has been known for the pins to fall out. Mine followed Austin's procedure.
(08-05-2020, 10:55 AM)Dave Mann Wrote: If you look at the engine end of an original starting handle Tony all is revealed. The end is counter bored in almost the centre of which is a nice smooth spherical depression where something has been well and truly driven into it by I suspect a press. Replicas have a pin which is a sliding fit in the hole secured by a grub screw, it has been known for the pins to fall out. Mine followed Austin's procedure.
A clever but simple idea. Dave, how deep do you think the shallow bore drilled into the end of the shaft was? Did it stop perhaps 50 tho short of the cross pin, or some other figure?
VE Day - the village is dressed with flags and bunting so we have put the Opal on the drive. Loads of people stopping to take photos and chat - from a distance.

The sign says 'I was around for VE Day (the car, not the owner!).

4 RP shafts, I did measure it but I've had a sleep since then Tony
(08-05-2020, 06:10 PM)Dave Mann Wrote: 4 RP shafts, I did measure it but I've had a sleep since then Tony
Thanks, Dave, I don't have a spare one to look at. You'll have to tell us all the technique of properly locking the (loose) pin in the current replacements.
    Not exactly Austin Seven related, as the old girl is still in lock-down although we are looking forward to an outing next week if the weather holds up. I have been fiddling with my 1966 VeloSolex 3800 assisted pedal cycle/moped. I have had it for a number of years, having bought in a brocante for £60. It runs but not brilliantly, as it lacked power and wouldn't rev out. I finally discovered a partial blockage in the fuel pick up pipe which hopefully will return it to its normal electrifying performance. The Solex has a 50cc two stroke that turns the front wheel via a roller. The throttle is fully open all the time except when the front brake is applied. An interesting experience for the unwary!
(08-05-2020, 07:18 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: Not exactly Austin Seven related, as the old girl is still in lock-down although we are looking forward to an outing next week if the weather holds up. I have been fiddling with my 1966 VeloSolex 3800 assisted pedal cycle/moped. I have had it for a number of years, having bought in a brocante for £60. It runs but not brilliantly, as it lacked power and wouldn't rev out. I finally discovered a partial blockage in the fuel pick up pipe which hopefully will return it to its normal electrifying performance. The Solex has a 50cc two stroke that turns the front wheel via a roller. The throttle is fully open all the time except when the front brake is applied. An interesting experience for the unwary!
My father-in-law, who worked in the continental section of British Rail, spoke fluent French and spent much time in that country told me, half jesting, that these mopeds were used extensively by the French banking system during the 1950s. When a customer wanted to transfer money from one branch to another a clerk set off on his moped across town/county clutching a wad of coloured forms. If his arrival coincided with lunchtime - and many times it did - a comfortable two hours were spent with the other bank staff. Said staff, having filled in the forms and telexed copies to head office, gave the clerk copies and off he set on his spluttering contraption back to his home bank. The next day a clerk from the receiving bank arrived (on his Velo, at lunchtime) with the forms from head office and pointed out several errors, these being corrected after a suitable lunch (with wine, of course). This pantomime would continue for several days until, at long last and after several more delightful lunch breaks, the money was transferred. BTW, did you noticed that when the Velos stopped being made they seemed to disappear from French roads overnight - just like the 2CV and Renault 4 cars.
The Solex might seem to have disappeared from the roads of France, but there is a devoted group of riders of the Stinkwheel active on this side of the Channel. Whether mounted above front or rear wheels, or below the bottom bracket, a range of additional power created the cyclemotor. Motor bike manufacturers were inevitably involved; BSA, Ducati, Rudge, Vincent and JAP. Austin did not try to get involved with cyclemotors, but surprisingly perhaps, Crossley and Salmson did, less surprising might have been Trojan with the Mini Motor. The problem for anyone wanting to try Stinkwheel riding is that legislation requires a motor bike licence. Whilst there may be historic reasons for this, it is rather pointless when a modern electric bike can significantly outperform any cyclemotor, but needs no licence at all. No I don't have one, but I do have a pal who does.