The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
(08-05-2020, 07:18 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: Not exactly Austin Seven related, as the old girl is still in lock-down although we are looking forward to an outing next week if the weather holds up. I have been fiddling with my 1966 VeloSolex 3800 assisted pedal cycle/moped. I have had it for a number of years, having bought in a brocante for £60. It runs but not brilliantly, as it lacked power and wouldn't rev out. I finally discovered a partial blockage in the fuel pick up pipe which hopefully will return it to its normal electrifying performance. The Solex has a 50cc two stroke that turns the front wheel via a roller. The throttle is fully open all the time except when the front brake is applied. An interesting experience for the unwary!
My father-in-law, who worked in the continental section of British Rail, spoke fluent French and spent much time in that country told me, half jesting, that these mopeds were used extensively by the French banking system during the 1950s. When a customer wanted to transfer money from one branch to another a clerk set off on his moped across town/county clutching a wad of coloured forms. If his arrival coincided with lunchtime - and many times it did - a comfortable two hours were spent with the other bank staff. Said staff, having filled in the forms and telexed copies to head office, gave the clerk copies and off he set on his spluttering contraption back to his home bank. The next day a clerk from the receiving bank arrived (on his Velo, at lunchtime) with the forms from head office and pointed out several errors, these being corrected after a suitable lunch (with wine, of course). This pantomime would continue for several days until, at long last and after several more delightful lunch breaks, the money was transferred. BTW, did you noticed that when the Velos stopped being made they seemed to disappear from French roads overnight - just like the 2CV and Renault 4 cars.

Messages In This Thread
Peak District well dressing - by Tony Griffiths - 31-08-2019, 05:00 PM
RE: What have you done today with your Austin Seven - by Tony Griffiths - 08-05-2020, 08:36 PM
Genuine old and imitation new - by Tony Griffiths - 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Crankcase machining - by Chris Garner - 29-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Massed ballon landing and A7 - by Tony Griffiths - 03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Popping and not pulling well? - by Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM