The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
As far as the Mem'Sahib at chateau Rekkers is concerned, " The answer is No, now what's the question?"
Today I took the Austin into Galashiels to shop at M&S Food. An excellent outing. Put a smile on many people's faces as I passed.
While waiting in the queue the older man from the couple in front of went over to inspect the car. In the conversation that followed he told me that his first car was a Ruby Tourer (Open Road?). He'd lent it to a friend one day who returned it with a full tank of fuel. The car was not used to such extravagance and the petrol tank fell off soon afterwards.
I had a similar experience when a student in Dundee in 1967. I heard a grating noise behind and stopped to find the petrol tank being dragged along the road by the petrol pipe. Fortunately I had a spare front brake cable in the car with which I lashed it back in place. It survived till the end of term.
Jim
I have been making a tool to reface the area on the crankcase that had the front main bearing lip. I made one earlier which has done 2 cases but it was hard work to operate reliably. I need to do this for the original engine of the family heirloom RN saloon. The arrangement is an old crank with a single point lathe tool mounted in a hole in the front web. The crank is fitted in the case via slightly relieved front and  rear bearings. Just one front bearing.  Flywheel fitted to the crank, brackets either side of the flywheel fastened to the top of the crankcase using the 3 rear block studs and the top 2 case to gearbox studs. Adjusting screws fitted on both brackets bearing on back and front face of the flywheel to control the depth of cut. Another bracket on the 2 bottom most studs also. 3 brackets total. I will turn the flywheel crank assembly  with a socket and long handle on the flywheel nut. Cost zero (that's what I like!)but hours many. Plenty of time at the moment as not looking after grandchildren.
Rather a memorable day yesterday for my seven. First time for about 35 years - it moved under it's own power!
Hi Dave,
I have a bit of alloy bar that runs in a couple of old crank bearings. it has a ground down punch as a flycutter an I use a cordless drill to drive it.

It is out on loan at the moment.

Congrats to Andrew34 Ruby well done for forward progress and backwards I hope.

I was naughty again today and took the Type 65 to work, I checked the rad before driving home only to find the level below the header tank.
Topped up and drove home then re checked to find all the water gone again, engine running really well so re filled it and I fitted a plastic hose onto the overflow blocked the cap and put a bit of air into it I found it has a leak at the base of the header tank ( split seam ) and a leak from the tubes at the top right.
So my guilty pleasure will have to be stopped till its fixed.
Cleared the three bears out of the garage for a spring clean...    
Tin of Bar's leaks...
Hi David,
As its a hard driven car I will get it repaired properly or re cored.
Dickie 65, I was wondering how you control the axial location of your alloy bar/ flycutter. 
Cheers,
Dave.
Photo 
Engine out.